Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a pocket pistol that is less bulky than my 642 and was thinking of a bodyguard. I want to the LGS ad they did not have any in stock to check out. I did check out the LCP custom and it seemed pretty good but could not make a direct comparison to the bodyguard. I know the LCP is slightly smaller and a couple oz. lighter which is a plus.

One of the guys at the shop has the bodyguard the other a LCP and both are happy. Not sure what way to head or just flip a coin.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have shot both during my search for a pocketable firearm. My opinion of these 2 guns is they have very long and very heavy trigger pulls. I am sure that I would not notice it so much if I was in a SHTF moment with the adrenaline pumping and all, but for range work trying to get proficient with them, I would probably get frustrated. They shot fine with no hiccups though and I wouldn't feel too much at a disadvantage if I was using one to defend myself.

In the end, I opted for a 9mm that had a nicer trigger. To me, that means alot because now I will take it with me to the range more willingly.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have an LCP on layaway. My neighbor has one and it absolutely disappears in my pocket. My LCR .357 in my EDC and is what I will conline to carry probably 80% of the time. I carry OWB at 4o'clock.
The LCP is going to be strictly my pocket carry for when I need to dress up or when OWB with the LCR is not comfortable. The LCR can be pocket carried, but is a bit bulky for me.
I actually like the longer trigger on the LCP. For pocket carry I think it's better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
for pocket carry I went with the lcp . I have a cm9 and just like the glock42 I think for me they are to big to pocket carry.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
A small pistol designed for deep concealment in a pocket is a gun that will be used for extreme close range self defense work. Do not worry about a long heavy trigger pull for target work at the range. You need a gun that you can hit vitals on the upper human torso at 30 feet and under.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Flip a coin. They're both solid and reliable. I do like the BG for it's stainless slide and nitride coating. Otherwise, they're both excellent pocket guns and shooters. The LCP custom is pretty nice as well.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I don't really care for the Ruger LCP the Glock 42 is nice but too large for pocket carry the S&W Bodyguard and the Sig P238 is very good the one I have on lay away because of the price and features is the Kahr CW380 to be has much nicer sights and features then the Ruger LCP but this is my feelings several nice guns out there.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Kahr ct380. About the size of the g42 very good quality, shoots very well, and nice and slim.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
This decision may depend on the size of pockets you normally have. I carry a Kahr CM9 and it fits very well in cargo pants and loose fitting jeans and docker style pants. Slimmer fitting jeans and pants it is a no go. Most of my jackets are fine but a few have smaller pockets.
The LCP and bodyguard would probably fit in all of them but getting the hand in a jeans pocket and drawing the gun may be snug.
On a side note I have shot a LCP and it is not a pleasant shooter. It stings a good bit. I have not shot the bodyguard but know people who have shot both and say the bodyguard felt better to them.
I have been considering picking up a smaller pocket gun as well. And will likely test fire the baby glock, bodyguard, and give the LCP another try.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 42 is too big for me since it is very close to the size of the smaller 9s out there. Also I want the option to carry in the back pocket and the 42 is too long and shows. So, Size is a hang-up so the LCP and Bodyguard sized pistols are the only real options for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only clothes I own are jeans and my Sig P238 is a perfect fit. Wife is also licensed and the Ruger LCP is a strong candidate for $289.00 NIB. Sure, Id like a bit more *** over a 380 but size does matter.

Any problems out there, jamOmatic, stove pipes ect from folks that actually own one??????

·
Administrator
22,148 Posts
I can't help much on this one as I pocket carry a 642 and think it is the ideal pocket firearm.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Only clothes I own are jeans and my Sig P238 is a perfect fit. Wife is also licensed and the Ruger LCP is a strong candidate for $289.00 NIB. Sure, Id like a bit more *** over a 380 but size does matter.

Any problems out there, jamOmatic, stove pipes ect from folks that actually own one??????
I own 2of them. Never had a problem. Both have been !00%.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts