Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody practice point shooting? I'm currently carrying a Vaquero for SD, and after 30 years of familiarity with some variation of the Weaver stance, it occurs to me that I don't know how I'll shoot in an emergency. I wonder if there are any historical references to how the Army trained its recruits in the use of the 1873 Colt. Align the sights at eye level? One hand? Two hands? And while we have all seen hip shooting in movies, was that the most common technique, and are there any written records or observations? Anybody know...?

Since a lot of things come down through history more or less intact, I suspect that point or hip shooting was fairly common, and simply carried over into the cinematic world of the 50s and 60s.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the Vaquero gives you 6, but your point is well taken. I am getting used to holding it the usual way, it's just an adjustment.

Still interested to hear if anyone practices it.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I've been working on point shooting with my New Bearcat. Considering what passes for sights on the New Bearcat, have to say that point shooting is a viable alternative to using the sights. It does work. I do at least as well with point shooting. Strictly a short range proposition, but, then, the Bearcat is a short range little revolver.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
I'm guessing Snubshooter is thinking classic single actions with no transfer bar and the general rule of no round under the hammer. So a 5-shot "six-shooter". More to your point, I did see a guy who could hip-shoot a cowboy action with amazing accuracy. He could chase an empty tin can all around the place and each time it was draw, cock and fire in a split second from the hip. Amazing. Another friend of mine is a retired DEA undercover agent and usually carried a Smith snubbie tucked in his waistband with no holster, just a grip clip (south Florida, shorts and T-shirt undercover work). He told me they trained on point shooting and he thought it worked pretty well. Oh man, the stories this guy could tell.....

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I've been working on point shooting with my New Bearcat. Considering what passes for sights on the New Bearcat, have to say that point shooting is a viable alternative to using the sights. It does work. I do at least as well with point shooting. Strictly a short range proposition, but, then, the Bearcat is a short range little revolver.
I like point shooting golf balls with my Bearcats. I do pretty well out to about 20 feet. When I have my range to myself, I get out a few balls and follow them up the hill as I hit 'em. I think Bearcats were made for it.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
bearcatter, do you have a shooting range or a driving range?

:D
The Forest Service carved out the side of a hill to make the range. As you walk out from the benches, it's uphill to the 90 degree hillside behind the hundred yard line. So I'm walking around in the target area chasing the balls.....:eek:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
The Forest Service carved out the side of a hill to make the range. As you walk out from the benches, it's uphill to the 90 degree hillside behind the hundred yard line. So I'm walking around in the target area chasing the balls.....:eek:
You are a brave man my friend. "The range is cold; no, the range is hot; no, it's just bearcatter playing golf!"

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
It is a kick using a Bearcat that way. The little guy seems to be made for this type of shooting. That little revolver is small, but awfully big on fun. I'm now looking for another one and, well, no need to explain to bearcatter. Should work on any SA, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been using a laser trainer with my bh. Results are good so far at close range. I wanted to see what would happen if I couldn't see my sights clearly in poor light. I'm using a laserlyte lt pro on a .45 bh conv. It's really a lot of fun and gives me an idea what to expect without sights.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Mostly with .22s (Single Six) I practice a bit of hip shooting. Fun to bounce a can around or kick a 12g hull into the air.... Waste a log of ammo! I've got a loooooong way to go compared to some others I shoot with.... If I want to hit something consistent... I still have to bring the gun up to eye level. As soon as I go for any real speed, a barn door is safe at two feet ... well exaggerating just a bit... but not by much :) . Hurrying a shot is the quickest way to lose a gunfight if ask me!

One of the guys I shoot with ... just can't miss....most times... His distance is 50Ys for a real challenge smacking the 8" round plates. When he gets on a roll... watch out! On close in stuff it is almost automatic. Now with his 1911 he'll hip shoot 4 targets and then rake back across and repeat for total of 8 shoots... no misses most of time... This is at around 15 yards and most all in the center of mass.... and all from the hip.... I don't see Bob Munden out much anymore but he is another one that is a wizard at it (as I have heard from fellow club members, because I never saw him personally hip shoot for fun... just exhibition fast draw type shooting) .

Everyone should have Ed McGivern's book on "Fast and Fancy Shooting" . It is written in wordy language of the time, but a lot of good information in there. A lifetime of knowledge. Mostly DA stuff, but he does cover Single Action shooting too. An amazing shooter of his time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Point shooting requires technique, a gun that points, and dedicated practice.

It could save your life under conditions you cannot see or use the sights. Those conditions include darkness and speed and close to contact distance. Otherwise, try to use the sights.

* Dry fire is incredibly important. All ammo must be in another room or place.
* A mirror is an indispensable training aid for dry fire.
* Draw and dry fire with bore axis in line with forearm. Elbow against your side.
* Peripheral vision picks up the muzzle.
* Trigger finger pulls trigger between leather and target. Begin squeeze as muzzle clears holster and enters "Low Ready" position.
* Squeeze and release trigger at the same speed (double action).
* Never use trigger to draw gun!
* Speed follows accuracy. Think accuracy at all times.

People shoot themselves because they are not focussed, and they don't understand the technique.
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
109 Posts
Addenda to Notes on Point Shooting:

Sam Colt's revolver pointed the sword towards obsolescence, perhaps literally.

In practicing point shooting, peripheral vision communicates point-of-impact to brain, which IMMEDIATELY adjusts POI for the next shot... and the next...

This is why the bore axis wants to be in line with the forearm and the forearm wants to be below the eye.

Out of position point shooting comes after long practice of the fundamental co-ordinations.

Two hand shooting, Weaver (boxer) Stance and Isosceles, begs the question, Why aren't you aiming?
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave, is that question ro me? I haven't tried either yet. I need to shoot the vaquero, but I was curious about instinctive shooting because a plow handle makes for an awkward two-hande dhold (though I practice it anyway). The thing I always think about is the weird grip you get on a gun you have to use a thumb on. The grip on a Glock 23 includes three fingers and thumb, but ths grip on an SA includes only three fingers, and the thumb is up on the hammer. I used to wonder if I'd remember to sweep a 1911 safety off in a crisis. Now I wonder if I'll have a secure grip -- without a thumb aroudn it -- on a gun I'm moving while cocking. Practice, practice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When I was going to school for Police Science in the late 70s our firearms instructor was a retired FBI agent. He was a big believer in point shooting and we spent a lot of time getting off that first shot with a service revolver. Got to the point where I could hit center mass of a silhouette target at 25 feet most of the time. Over the years I've kept the skill up and in the past several years I've taken up Cowboy Action Shooting with a pair of .44SPL Vaqueros. Most of the targets are pretty close and I get off my first shot very soon after the gun clears the holster. This is not fast draw competition shooting. I'm carefully drawing the gun and cocking the hammer. I haven't put a round in the ground yet but I sometimes go high on a high target.

·
Banned
402 Posts
it occurs to me that I don't know how I'll shoot in an emergency.
Not to be a smart A$$ --but I would get that figured out first, every shoot is different,
every emergency presents a different set of rules.
+ your about half as good under pressure.
Point shooting would be a last ditch do or die tactic, Unless you practice and know you can do it without missing center mass. Shooting at 7 yards
( accepted combat distance )
would be a good place to start. Don't miss understand it's a great thing to learn, and fun to do, and I fully understand your question.
Not using sights is a little tricky, not that hard, but tricky. The pistol of choice is not
the deciding factor unless your trying to duplicate cowboy style, and that's fine also.
While teaching a friend to do double taps with a 1911 at 10 yards I could not get him to not look at his sights. He would hit the target but his shots would sound like
BOOM-------Boom not boom boom, mine were two shots in less that a sec.
I told him to not look at the sights, just try to pick up the front.
He saw my pistol go out in front of me and swore I lined up the sights.
One day we were doing it and I handed him my pistol and said, try it with mine.
He was very taken back when he saw the rear sight was taped over with black tape.
He never did get it, anyway sorry for the long winded post, I guess there's a point in there someplace. My bottom line is, if you can't do it in practice you probly wont do it to save your life.
The OP was talking about shooting in an emergency so that's what I tried to answer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.