Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend said the other day that many Police/LEO departments and government agencies still carry .357 magnum handguns. I thought that years ago they went to "other" calibers instead. If known please tell me if some still carry the .357 or are they using 9MM and/or .40 for the most part.
Thanks......

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
It depends on the department. Some department issue sidearms and some don't. Most modern PD's use Glocks whether issued or not. LA SWAT teams primarily use tactical 1911's. If the sidearm is not issued, the officer must buy it himself just as he does his uniforms and leather gear. Some departments make it optional to carry the issued weapon or a personal weapon. All of them I've ever heard of at least have specifications the sidearm must fall into.

The popular ammo for PD's is 9mm, 357, 40 and 45 and to my knowledge, all use JHP's.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
When I began my LE career in 1989, I was issued a S&W Model 65 .357. Those days are pretty much done; I'm not aware of any departments anywhere that still issue the revolver. I do see the occasional armored car guard with one, but no LE folks that I know of. Last I checked, the Glock 22 in .40 S&W is the most popular LE sidearm nationwide. On the other hand, when I'm off duty, I often will carry my Ruger GP-100....and don't feel under-gunned in the least. My agency has a newly-appointed firearms instructor, and he's pushing for us to get rid of our .45s in favor of high-cap Glock .40s. He says that the single stack .45 we use now doesn't hold enough ammo. Having seen the abysmal marksmanship skills of many of my comrades, I fail to comprehend how giving them more ammo will help anything. Equipment is never a substitute for skill.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
This is only anecdotal but last fall I was "researching" what the local LEOs carried here in the greater Atlanta area. It was 90% Glock, 10% S&W both in the 40 S&W round. I had checked with about 10 different departments which, in this area, is not a real large sampling. Other than that, 2 weeks ago, my mother in law was in the hospital in a medium sized city about 30 miles south of Atlanta. I saw a female Ga. State Trooper, not sure why she was there, had what appeared to be a S&W .357. Do you see any LEOs carrying 357s or any revolver for that matter?

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Having seen the abysmal marksmanship skills of many of my comrades, I fail to comprehend how giving them more ammo will help anything. Equipment is never a substitute for skill.

Sorry, but your statement had me laughing out loud! I KNOW how true that is! On SJPD, we were given a nice little silver plated badge we were to wear above our badge. I rated Expert and the other guys would see it, laugh and say, "I'm riding with him!". :D

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
No apologies necessary, bro....you and I tend to just call it as we see it!;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I haven't seen any LE in years carrying a revolver for their main sidearm, yes many still carry one as their backup and perhaps thats why they say it is a popular law enforcement round. I also know of many departments looking at the .357 SIG in comparison to their .40 SW, around here it is about 50% GLOCK, 25% Springfield Armory and 25% Smith and Wesson with 60+% .40 SW and all of the others are .45 ACP. No one currently is carrying the .357 SIG.

I know of one department that allows 9MM, .40 SW and .45 ACP as well as GLOCK, Springfield Armory or Smith and Wesson. I am surprised how many of them carry different firearms and even calibers on the same department. You never know what they will be carrying.

EDITED to add the following: Iowa State Troopers are issued Smith and Wesson M&P in 40 S&W. Most agencies in Southeast Iowa that are issuing all new firearms are going between the Springfield Armory XD or the Smith and Wesson M&P, if they are adding more firearms it seems that they are adding GLOCKS since thats what they have had since the 90's.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Some snippett of a TV program said that 65% of all LEO's (USA) carry a Glock in .40S&W (no model given)? Can't confirm or deny but boy doesn't it sound true? I can't picture any LEO carrying a revolver unless as a backup maybe?
Tony
PS Hot Damn!! I just got a promotion, 1st SGT! Please refer to me as "sir" in the future..... ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
A friend of mine is LEO and he told me that his department gives them a choice between 9mm and .45. He chose the 9mm G19. He also said that their backup can't be any smaller than .38 or .380 and has to be approved first. I also know that the state prison guards that are "outside the fence" carry S&W .357.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Many departments will issue a glock 21 or 22 as a primary with a glock 27 as a bug which facilitates the use of the larger magazine in the bug if needed.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I forgot to mention but I believe most federal agents are issued Sig P226 in 9mm or 40. I've heard that military police are issued Beretta 96's which is the same as a 92 only in 40 cal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Most of the LEA I knew of that issued a .357 Magnum used a +p or +p+ 38 Special round as issued ammunition. Glock dominates most domestic LEA due to excellent marketing, pricing and customer support. As a whole LEA tend to follow the equipment examples of larger agencies.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Washington state patrol carries s&w m&p .40 cal.

The local county and city carry glocks.. 33s if i remember...

Ammo is speet gold dot le.. training ammo is federal or speer...

Nathan

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
NC highway patrol carries S&W M&P 357 SIG( I hope I get one, applied to be a trooper over the summer:D)
Cool! I wish you luck. But we used to call the CHP body scrapers. It's not the most pleasant of jobs but least everyone greets you with a smile when you pull them over! :D :rolleyes:

But seriously, good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cool! I wish you luck. But we used to call the CHP body scrapers. It's not the most pleasant of jobs but least everyone greets you with a smile when you pull them over! :D :rolleyes:

But seriously, good luck and stay safe.
Thanks! Hopefully will find something out soon! Yeah I know i won't be everyone's favorite person when they meet me but having the opportunity to help people and possible save a life is worth the risk and ridicule. A few really good friends of mine are troopers so I've heard a lot of stories both good and bad.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Is it N.C. that has that insane ZO6 Corvette Chase car (198MPH)!! Can I just chase people around and write warnings?? :cool: And carry a Ruger hopefully? where do I sign up?
Tony

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
NCLE089, WHen one of our guys didn't qualify, he would have been releived of duty and given a desk job and given remedial training and another chance, or, depending of the severity of the case, releived of duty pending further action. But that was life in the A.F. Security Police Squadrons. It did tend to motivate the bad shooter however.

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
A lot of departments in my area use .40 cal. while there are a handful upgrading to the .45. And being with Smith and Wesson being so local a lot of departments are changing to the M&P in each caliber. MA state police being the most recent large department to change to the M&P in .45.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts