Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have three ruger revolvers police security six,security six,and a gp100. The security six and gp 100 have the same trigger pull and same let off if you will. The police security six in da the hammmer travels further back than the other two revolvers. I just wonder if this is like normal or abnormal as far as the length of travel the hammer has in the police security six opposed to the security six and gp100. Can anyone here keep an answer as to what to do? Thank you

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,667 Posts
Typical Ruger ... they don't have the best consistency in their parts. In this case, the hammer dog (AKA DA sear) is a bit longer in the Police S-S. What to do? Leave it alone if the gun is working OK. Just because one gun has a bit more hammer travel does not mean it is out of spec. You can take a few thousandths off the exposed end of the hammer dog. Note: a few thousandths difference in hammer dog length can make a huge difference in hammer travel. If you ruin the hammer dog ... you're screwed. Ruger won't sell you a new one unless you send the gun in for repairs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Iowegan

Thank you for a great explanation on the hammer travel of the security six's. I am sure glad to be a part of this forum where one learns a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts