Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) For a winter project, sitting in front of the TV, why not give that SS revolver a great polished look. Use MOTHERS MAG AND ALUMINUM POLISH. Works great and you can make your gun look like nickle.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Wenol is another metal polish that truly works like magic. Pricy and kinda hard to find. I bought some to polish the stainless trim on my 70 Roadrunner. I had to buff off a little rust on my Super Redhawk, under where the Houge grip was that I installed 23 years ago, and it really shines under there.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Wenol is another metal polish that truly works like magic. Pricy and kinda hard to find. I bought some to polish the stainless trim on my 70 Roadrunner. I had to buff off a little rust on my Super Redhawk, under where the Houge grip was that I installed 23 years ago, and it really shines under there.
+1 on this. Wenol is THE stuff. I can also highly recommend Flitz metal polish; works great, and easier to find.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes I did it to my MKIII hunter really looks sweet. Only did the barrel and some high lights around the back near the end of the bolt and the bolt face. But it's hard to see in pictures.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:)
How long does it last? Do you have to keep doing it or is it permanent? Just rub the polish with a microfiber towel?
I found on my S&W 686 that once it shines to your liking, it's a matter of a quick touch up after lots of shooting when the muzzle and cylinder take on some discoloration. I'm in the process of polishing my SP 101 now-it's starting to look great !

·
Registered
644 Posts
I did mine with a white t-shirt and mother's mag. But here, it's a summer time job, waiting for the cooler weather. I carry mine often, so I didn't go for a mirror shine, just something to keep me busy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
'Happily addicted' & 'Dubshooter' - Great photos you guys! :D

Anyone else got any pics of their polished revolvers?

One of the first things I will be doing when I get the GP I've ordered, is polishing it :cool:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Years ago I used sandpaper to polish this SP-101, also removed the warning label and bobed the hammer.

Sold it to a friend, that doesn't do anything to polish or maintain it, so the finish has held up very well, all things considered.

Currently polishing up a Ruger Old Army grip frame, and a New Model stainless ejector rod housing, to install on an Old Model Super Single Six.

Love sitting in front of the TV set doing fun projects like this. :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey 'BRL' How did you get rid of the warning label on that SP? :confused: Did you use a dremel? Surely not just sand paper - that would take ages!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I must admit, I'm a sucker for SS.
And I love to see a nice clean shiney handgun.
But not a big fan of high gloss.
Plays hell in the sunlight over here.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hey 'BRL' How did you get rid of the warning label on that SP? :confused: Did you use a dremel? Surely not just sand paper - that would take ages!
Needle files to start, followed by various grits of sandpaper to make it all blend in, and then polish with Flitz or Mothers.

Me and power tools don't mix well when it comes to most gun mods.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Needle files to start, followed by various grits of sandpaper to make it all blend in, and then polish with Flitz or Mothers.

Me and power tools don't mix well when it comes to most gun mods.
Oh o.k, needle files eh? Good to know, thanks for that :) That's one more thing added to the list of mods I will be doing when my GP arrives! :D

Also, +1 on the comment from Anita - that single action frame is looking mighty fine! :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts