Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very nice shooter grade '56 Single Six. The grip frame has a nice original finish from gunmeatal gray to Black. I like the looks of an Old Model Single-Six with the grip frame polished, but the original finish is very attractively worn in. Would You leave it as-is, or go ahead and polish the grip frame all th way? This gun is an heirloom, so it will never be re-sold. What do You think....Break out the steel wool or let it ride as is?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'd say if the weapon is not being damaged because of the finish, leave it alone. It will have some character in it's original finish.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Vote for "let it ride"...it got that way as part of it's character...Not my business but when I want 'new" I go get a new one....I've got several OMBH and OMSBH from the 50's and 60's...just picked up a flatgate that has wonderful patina...for me that's the beauty of the thing...like to wonder who all owned it and how they handled and cared for it...JMHO

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ditto here. Don't pimp up the elderly lady.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
...The grip frame has a nice original finish from gunmeatal gray to Black. I like the looks of an Old Model Single-Six with the grip frame polished, but the original finish is very attractively worn in... QUOTE]

Sounds like you have a tough choice to make.

I also like to polish frames with a worn finish, but that is mainly due to the fact that I'm buying a used OM, and I'm not the one that caused the wear on their frames.

If I liked the looks of the wear pattern on my heirloom, I'd probably leave it as is.

Or maybe find another OM grip frame at a gun show to polish.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to leave it. The original owner was a friend of my Dad's and Dad was the second owner. Seeing how I know where every worn spot on the grip frame came from, I want to leave the wear patterns that Bruce, my Dad, and myself have left on this nice partial Plum flatgate. Thanks for talking some sense into me before I removed "family Patina". I really appreciate it. Thank You guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts