Ruger Forum banner

Where do you carry? (for IWB and OWB concealed)

• 12 - at belt buckle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 o'clock

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • 3 - RHS hip

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • 4-5

Votes: 57 45.2%
  • 6 - small of back

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 7-8

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • 9 - LHS hip

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 10-11

Votes: 7 5.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using the clock measure for location, for those who carry IWB or OWB concealed, where do you carry? I'm finding that 11 or 1 is most accessible and comfortable, 4 or 5 is very awkward, 3 prints too badly.

I've heard fears about an 11 or 1 carry, in case of accidental discharge.

Where do you carry and why? Discussion/comments welcomed.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
I'm a lefty, so it's 10-11.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Fall/winter a coat or jacket covers it.

A smaller LCR type gun in the summer IWB works fine for me....although sometimes I wear a loose linen shirt that covers up fine.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I use an IWB on my left hip, under a loose, un-tucked shirt. Reason: I work uniformed LE, and have for 23 years now. In all of that time, my sidearm has always been on my left hip. In times of serious trouble, my left hand automatically goes to that same location. When off-duty, I see no need to switch locations. Sticking with what I'm used to makes enormous sense to me; that way, in the heat of the moment, I'm not losing valuable seconds playing mental catch-up: "Where's my gun?? Shoulder holster? Small of back? Left hip?" One gun, same location, all of the time. It works for me.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I just came back from a 5 day trip - VA, NC, SC, NC, VA, and back to WV. I kept my small 9mm (Beretta Nano) just forward of 3 o'clock IWB. If I move it any further forward, it makes driving difficult. I wore shorts or blue jeans with a pullover type shirt (untucked) and the weapon was unnoticeable.

How nice to be traveling in states where our 2A freedoms are not restricted.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,378 Posts
I carry OWB at 3:00 and/or 9:00. I am left-handed and right eye dominant. I normally carry at 3:00 and shoot right-handed. I often carry a handgun at 9:00 depending on circumstances. I shoot all rifles right-handed.

I find in the summer with a light un-tucked over-sized shirt, it is much easier for me to conceal carry two .357 magnum revolvers with smooth wood grips at 3:00 and 9:00 so the shirt doesn’t bunch up on the rubber type grips. The New York reload works for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I carry my M&P 9mm at 2 o'clock because it's the most comfortable and doesn't print at all. However access is a little awkward, and it's harder to keep out of bad guy's reach if they are right in front of you.

Tried 4-5 o'clock and it's not as comfortable and prints terribly with my work apparel (dress clothes). Yet it's easier to access and defend. Still trying to make a final decision.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I carry either my LC9 or SR9c in an IWB holster at the 4-5 position. Sometimes I'll slide it up to about the 3:30 position while driving (depending on how far).

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
I'm right handed. I chose 10-11 to indicate a cross draw rig.

Cross draw is especially effective when sitting, particularly in a vehicle, but I prefer it for all holster wear. Having said that, I've been carrying, for 12 years, every time I leave the house and 99.5% of the time, in my strong side pocket. :)

·
Banned
650 Posts
It's impossible for me to contribute to the poll because I carry several different guns for different reasons. Long barreled guns I carry at 12:30 IWB. Semi-autos I carry them at 3:00 IWB. OWB I carry all guns at 3:00 or in a shoulder holster. The OP needs to be more specific if he/she wants better answers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's impossible for me to contribute to the poll because I carry several different guns for different reasons. Long barreled guns I carry at 12:30 IWB. Semi-autos I carry them at 3:00 IWB. OWB I carry all guns at 3:00 or in a shoulder holster. The OP needs to be more specific if he/she wants better answers.
Thanks for being specific even though the poll didn't make room for it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
LC9 between 1:30 and 2. LCP 2 and SR9c at 1. Different gun for different season or clothing. But all appendix carry.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
3 o'clock OWB for me. I've experimented with 4 o'clock but it's just too hard to keep my pants up! :D

I wish someone would make suspenders for holsters. ;)

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
3:30-4:00 for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.