Ruger Forum banner

Poor man trigger job?

8K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Raminator 
#1 ·
I saw this somewhere on the web and think that's what it was called.
I'm wondering if this will cause any problems for me or the gun? Anyone else do this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ah yes ... the old poor boy trigger job. Pulling one leg of the trigger spring definately lightens trigger pull. Does it hurt anything? Probably not. Is it the best solution for a trigger job? No, but then look at the name.

#13 ·
jdawg, It's what gunsmiths call "boosting" and is one of the worst things you can do to a respectable gun. When you apply pressure to the hammer, it forces the sear into the hammer notch. Sometimes is just rounds off the sear and makes trigger pull a little easier but often it will permanently damage the sear or hammer notch, thus requiring a new trigger and/or hammer. This is a classic "Bubba" fix.

#17 ·
I don't get the whole obsession with trigger jobs.......what's wrong with shooting them as they came from the factory? Few people shoot well enough to see much if any difference from shaving a pound or two from the pull anyway:)

I think it's just a holdover from years past when everyone had to have their guns "worked" or they just weren't cool.....

I have a GP100 that the last owner had "worked" and I don't see a difference in performance over a straight stock ex-PD gun that's had nothing done to it. The only thing is I can say "this one's been worked" and some people at the range pretend to care:rolleyes:

#22 ·
I don't get the whole obsession with trigger jobs.......what's wrong with shooting them as they came from the factory? Few people shoot well enough to see much if any difference from shaving a pound or two from the pull anyway:)
I installed the Ghost Ultimate trigger bar reset in my Ruger SR9 and noticed an immediate difference in trigger pull and handling. My groups at 15 yards were cut in half.

I wouldn't call that small potatoes.

#18 ·
I agree

I agree with your insight. I think I could benefit from a little lighter trigger. It
just seems so heavy. I know that trigger time is important to (know) your gun, but time and $ keep me from shooting the number of rounds I would love to put down range.
thanks,
Len

#19 ·
I agree with your insight. I think I could benefit from a little lighter trigger. It
just seems so heavy. I know that trigger time is important to (know) your gun, but time and $ keep me from shooting the number of rounds I would love to put down range.
thanks,
Len
Don't underestimate the value of dryfiring! You should make it a daily routine to execise your trigger. Once it has become "part of your body", you can reduce it.

Fritz

#20 ·
If you want to appreciate stock factory triggers, both in DA and SA go out and buy a cheap Nagant revolver at a gun show......I have two of them and the DA pulls must be over 40 lbs., and the SA pull feels like shooting a crossbow more than a revolver!

Learn to shoot decently with crappy .32 long ammo out of a Nagant with a trigger pull like a rusty hinge, and any Ruger will feel like it's had a master trigger job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.