Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K5wqh and I went to the range this afternoon and we both were disgusted with the way this guy was trying to teach his wife to shoot. He would berate her and not give her the time to learn or absorb what he was trying teach. The worst part he was doing a very poor job. K5wqh has to leave but I stayed behind to practice more. Within 15 minutes I had to leave. He was having problem with his glock with the ammo he was using. She would tell him something was wrong but he would just yell to shoot. We had tried to talk to him about the ammo and some of his training methods, not a good move. Anyway this poor woman would do well to have someone outside the family teach her. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
My thoughts are that there are idiots wherever you go. You would like to think all gun owners are all right, but we know that is not true. It is a shame this woman had to be subjected to this, but I would say he treats her this way all the time, sad to say. Maybe one day she will wake up and leave his sorry butt.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

Just curious, are you sure it was the ammo or the fact that she may have been limp wristing the Glock, they will jam up ie stove pipe etc with they are not held firmly.

I won't say here what I should, about her jerk of a husband who I think is lower than whale flop, and who's relatives can prolly be found in great numbers on the floor of a barn inhabited by 50 cows

You get the picture [8D]

Nah, I'll get off my

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
There's no doubt the jerk treats her like that all the time. Shame she will give up on a great sport because of him. If I'd done that with my wife I would of got that gun butt right on top of my head. She's a redhead and can get fired up real quick.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

A guy like that forgets... he's got to fall asleep sometime. She just may bide her time, and make him pay.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
A few years ago, I saw something similar to this, but the guy had a 7mm mag rifle trying to teach wife/girlfriend to shoot it. When she would hold the rifle, she was pulling her head away from the scope and not getting proper eye relief, so she was complaining she cant see anything. The guy was yelling at her, to get her head up to the scope, but she was afraid of the recoil causing her to hold her head away. The guy was getting more and more frustrated at his wife showing fear of the rifle (hell its 7mm mag! I cant blame her!) finally the guy yanks the rifle out of her hands and gets in a bench, and goes to demonstrating how to get proper eye relief, "You got to get up to the scope, get up close! Like this!!" he yelled, the guy then puts his eye very close to the optic, exaggerating the proper distance and pops a round. As you can guess, the scope cut a nice circle in his forehead. They left immediately after.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
It's a real shame that a woman who probably wanted to learn to shoot had to be subjected to an idiot like that. My wife shows no interest in learning to shoot, but if she did I would be very patient. It took me a long time to learn to shoot a handgun and I would never expect anyone else to be a quick study.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use these stories as an example of what NOT to do while teaching my wife to shoot. It does take the patience of Jobe to instruct a new shooter that really wants to learn....but has never thought she could do this THING.

This past sunday she went through close to 150 rounds of 22lr in an sp101....hit the paper about 20 to 25 times total. She had fun and wants to go again....God, I love this woman. :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When it clicks, she'll likely outshoot you...most women (my sister with her P95 included) just do it....real well...you're doing it right!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not really related, but kinda is. I was at the small private gun club range that I belong to (only 265 members) this past Sunday, doing some clean up and spraying Round Up to get ready for next weekend's Rondevous (sp?) and Mountain Man Jubilee.

There was a family of 5 at one of the rifle bays. They had ice chests, and mom was knitting, the 2 young girls were shooting .22s. Dad was dressed in his 5\11 gear, all the tactical foo-fas you can think of, including a SWAT hat. As The president of the club and I were walking past the table where they had all their gear, I watched the dad go to the table and pick up a rifle that was pointing towards the safe zone instead of downrange, sweeping both of us as he turned and stepped up to the firing line. He then proceeded to pop off ten rounds as fast as he could. Obviously, this rifle was loaded when he picked it up and swept us.

Happens occasionally when you spend much time at range, you might say, right? So you keep an eye on the culprit and make sure it was just a momentary lapse, and if he repeats the act, a few words of caution and wisdom will usually end the problem.

So what's the big deal, you might ask? Turns out this guy IS actually a member of the Sheriff's Dept. SWAT team! Why he was there all geared out for a day of family shooting is beyond me, but hey, different strokes, right? But full gear including the hat, and sweeping folks with a loaded gun makes me wonder if this guy is really the right guy to be on the SWAT team. He broke THE cardinal rule of gun handling, and he responds to SWAT situations? Kids, wife, innocent bystanders and this yahoo keeps a loaded gun pointed opposite of down range and struts around in full tactical gear, sweeping people?

While our club is small, I don't know all of the members, and of course there are going to be some a$$hats in any group that large, but come on. The president told me that he was going to talk to him privately. I sure hope it was just a brain fart, but his actions didn't instill confidence from me towards him. And lose the hat and gear, guy. Us other shooters are not impressed. You might be, but we're not.

Am I being too judgmental here? I thought maybe he had just come from a call or something, but what with the ice chests and family and the fact that they all left in one vehicle leads me to believe that he dressed that way purposely. The vast majority of LEOs that I know are very low key about being cops when they are in mixed company in a social setting. They certainly don't advertise it, not even at the range. Ah well, I'll get over it. It just struck me as odd.

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have a friend that is an instructor of firearms and teaches the hand gun course here in Texas. He once told me that a husband most of the time isn't going to be able to teach his wife how to shoot. His main reasoning was that they don't have enough patience. And that may or may not be true. How ever trying to talk with someone once they are mad most time doesn't work out. Unless you can find away of calming them down.
Sounds like no one was going to calm this guy down, if there was a snack bar around maybe someone could have sugested lets go have a cup of coffee. Just to get him away from the range for a few minutes and let him cool down.
Its been my experance with women that they don't look at things the way men do and most time they will want to start learning on the oppcite end the gun. Example: from the target back to the weapon.
At least that was what I found out when I was a small arms instructor when I was in the Army. During that time I found it was better to have a class in the class room before ever going to the range. And beleive it or not a cartoon comand's more attention that a move with real folks.
I always tried to get a cartoon on the subject that I was going to instruct on. As the cartoon could always have the chartor that wasn't doing to listen or follow instructions. And then there was one that did. And of course they would show the differance between following instruction.
I found this to work well witrh all G. I.'s male or female. Sure made my job alot easier too. I was only and instructor for 6 month on TDY but I enjoyed it and was sure glad it was over too.
But yell at a person and tring to get them to do what you want sure has never worked, and will never work with a women.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Righton, Snuffy-and your teaching probably saved a few lives and prepared many to do Job 1...thanks for your service!!! Wolfsong, cop or no cop the conversation would have been had right there right in front of whoever was there...absolutely no excuse and, depending on his response, might have been followed up by a visit with him and his C.O.....the GI Joe mentality shows insecurity...endangering my family and others...I've seen, trained those with the Wyatt Earp syndrome...most good cops have no interest in hurting anyone---they're willing to, but don't want to...and humility and love are always required before service---this turkey needs to re-evaluate his motives...quickly.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree whole heartedly that a husband shouldn't be the one to teach wifey to shoot. I wanted her to take a beginners class with a professional 1st. She (the boss) said no...she was afraid she'd look stupid by going in knowing zilch. The only way she'd do this was by going to the range with me & me teaching her safety & the basics. Her 1st outing consisted of shooting my S&W M65LS with 38sp light loads. She shot about a dozen or so rounds & liked it but the distance from the trigger to the backstrap is to big for her small hand. The hunt for her own gun started with j frame smiths, Tauruses & Rugers. She fell in love with the feel of the Ruger SP101 3" 357mag...this is now HER gun. We have been renting the SP101 in 22lr each trip to the range though to get her more used to shooting/grip/stance without the worry of recoil thrown in.

We do have her signed up for a 4 hour beginners NRA class on the 27th that she is now looking forward to. During all this I came to realize that it's been 30 years since I've had any formal trainning myself so I'm taking the clase also as a refresher. I hope they can teach an old dog something new. If not, then atleast I'll have the joy of watching her learn & have fun. [8D]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Success story!!! Wish mine could see the light...her 14 and 17 year old boys are ready, though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts