Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a 10/22 on a local forum and want to know what you feel this is worth. It was manufactured in 1977. It is a blued model with a horrible stock, rusted over barrel with pitting. The receiver and trigger group have gouges and scrapes all over. The rifle has no magazine. This guy is asking 250 OBO. I know that it is not worth that. He says that it shoots well. I think this rifle is only worth about a 100 bucks. What would you guys pay?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
$250? That's whacko, even though it's a pre-warning 10/22 if it is, indeed, a 1977 (I'd check the barrel to be sure). Pre-warning 10/22s can command that kind of price, but only if in excellent condition. I paid less than that for a mint 1966 10/22. In that kind of condition, no way I'd pay $250. $100 is about right for a rough gun that you'll want to clean up and use as a shooter.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The seller is nuts. Way overpriced from what you described.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna offer 100. I'm sure he'll be offended and not even respond. He has some other carbines on there for 350. So, I'm not expecting a reasonable response.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you are a bit crazy to offer even $100.....it's junk now......even a rebuild might not be possible with the receiver all gouged up.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you aware that you can buy a NEW 10/22 for $209 with no problem at all....Bass Pro Shop has the 10/22 target in Stainless listed for $299 for Goodness sakes

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I wouldn't give $25 for what you describe, Try your local pawnshops if you want used. New one's are not expensive.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bass Pro are high on their firearms. Good selection but high prices.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only reason I was considering it was that I have an extra barrel and stock. I have taken trigger groups and receivers down to bare aluminum before and they looked nice. Anyway, I guess that is still a lot of money for a crappy specimen. I'll probably move on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there!

Different category of firearm as the current model is pre-ban, but I just paid $155. for a used 95% 10/22 Stainless 18 1/2" with synthetic stock.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My LGS has new ones for $200.

If it's that bad I'd advise him to just throw it in the trash. Junk is junk. It's not like it is some sort of rare, hand-made, work of art or something.

Even if you gave him $10 and just kept the receiver (for the SN) and bought all new everything you'd still be way over the cost of a new one.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Way too much for that kind of condition. $25 might be too much. Condition is everything, poor condition is simply that, poor.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Get a knew one, simple as that. If you aren't a fan of the plastic parts, I think you can buy steel parts just about anywhere. Am I correct?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pre-ban only matters in some states. It doesn't mean anything in my state.

The last 10/22 that I bought was earlier this year and I paid $199 from my local LGS. I was in there just last week and they were still $199.
If there is rust on the barrel, I wouldn't give him $50 for it.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I would give him $50 if it shoots and cycles...$25 for parts is no-brainer imo even if it is f/d up...

For a $100 not sure...the receiver/bolt/trigger group even if exterior dinged up is worth it in parts IF they are in condition internally...

Stocks can be refurbished and/or customized for next to nothing...barrels come from new 18" take offs for very cheap...more for the 16" take offs.. to anything you want...

Scratch and dent can be a great bargain...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts