Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I guess porting a revolver always makes it louder...how much louder?
10%? 30%? Anyone have any idea?

(I'm looking at a ported one on gnbrkr)

Take for instance the Taurus snubbie in 454, it's ported.
Also would the length of barrel make a difference in what % louder it'd be?
Like the Ruger Toklat in 5".

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had my Super Redhawk .480 chopped and Magnaported a couple years ago. I don't detect any difference in how loud it is presently, compared to before I had the ports put in.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
AlbertJohnson, That's a pretty hard question to answer because there are so many variables. As an example, some ports are holes drilled at a right angle to the bore so they push the blast straight up. Some ports are slots where pressure is vented up or slightly back. No doubt, slotted ports directed back a little will be the loudest. Barrel length has a direct affect on the sound from all barrels. Why? With magnum powders, it takes about 15" of bullet travel to burn up the powder. This means a shorter barrel is going to produce a huge fire ball and a very loud report ... whether the barrel is ported or not. The longer the barrel, the more powder is burned, thus less noise and flash. Also, the farther the muzzle blast is from your ears, the less noise.

Sound levels work a bit different than you might think. They are rated in decibels where 1 decibel is the level needed for a human ear to detect a change. Each 3 decibels doubles the sound level. So ... lets say a gun produces a sound level of 80 db and with a ported barrel it produced a sound level of 86 db. Even though the 80 is 93% of 86, in actual sound level, it is 4 times louder (2x3db).

Any way you cut it, you will definitely need good hearing protection when shooting a ported barrel. A 454 Cas is monster for muzzle blast and sound level so you will likely need ear plugs and a good headset.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Having shot both ported and non-ported 454s, I can tell you that for you, the shooter, you won't likely notice much difference in the noise level, but you'll likely feel the concussion a bit more.

Anyone to the side of you, though, even slightly to the side, will definitely notice the difference in noise and concussion. Shooting a ported 454 at a crowded shooting range won't make you any friends. In fact, some shooting ranges prohibit ported guns for this reason.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dam_ CMonti!! lol
Sure didn't know that about 3 dec doubles the noise (though it was only 7% more in the number) Iowegan...thanks for the info. That and North Country pretty much decides it for me. Whatever I bought would serve partly as self defense. I'll not be getting a ported one. Probably why the Toklat was for sale, the owner didn't care for the porting either. Very cool looking, but no thanks now.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In fact, some shooting ranges prohibit ported guns for this reason.
I shoot at an indoor range that allows everything up through 50BMG. Maybe it's just me, but with my ear-protection on, I couldn't honestly tell the difference between a 40s&W a few lanes down, or a 500s&w in the lane right next to me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't have a ported revolver, I've never shot a ported revolver so I don't know about the noise difference behind a ported revolver. I can say that a ported revolver (or any other ported firearm) does seem louder to the person shooting along side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can tell a noise difference between my Glock 17 and my Glock 17C with factory ports, especially at the indoor range. It is not a big difference through my hearing protection, but it is definitely there.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Years ago I built the wife a 30-06 Ackley improved "deer rifle" out of an O3A3 and had a smith cut rearward angled "shark gill" slots in the barrel end to act as a recoil supressor. I was like standing next to a Howitzer going off....it had a blast and a noise that was insane...she shot it a couple of times and handed it back and never went hunting...I didn't shoot the rifle again and gave it to a guy to rebarrel..it was a monster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I shoot a couple of ported pistols and rifles. Wouldn't shoot a 454 without ports after shooting both. The reason I say this is how fast you get the pistol aimed for the second shot. I think it makes the recoil more manageable and you will need that in my experience. Less wear and tear on your wrists and hands too. I wear plugs and muffs shooting big bore guns.

Many shooters seem amazed how loud a .44 mag or 7mm Rem Mag is. If all you shoot is 9mm and AR-15's everything else except .22's will seem very loud in comparison.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a Taurus Tracker in .44 that was ported. I didn't like it. Maybe it was just me, maybe it was the lighter pistol. Seemed louder to me, and just wasn't fun to shoot.
Sold it and bought an Alaskan .44. Much more fun to shoot and doesn't seem as loud to me IMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts