Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do two loading manuals have different data?
Well, to begin with, every gun is different. Some labs use off-the-shelf guns and some use special Universal receivers and tight chambered barrels. Some have a 1:10 twist and some have a 1:16 or other twist. Some are 4" long and some are 8" long.
Where my gun reaches max pressure can be quite different from where your gun reaches max pressure. No two barrels are alike.
Every lot of the "same" powder is different. Some times, the company that actually makes the powder (not the name on the can) has changed and no notification has been sent out.
Different lots of cases have different volumes and hardnesses and different manufacturer's cases have even larger differences.
Different bullets have different ogives/meplats/bearing surfaces. Even different lots of the same bullets can have differences as manufacturer's do not send out notices when they modify a bullet design--and even a small change in swaging pressure can affect the finished bullet. For all I know, Monday morning and Friday afternoon bullets may be different from the rest of the week.
Primers are different.
So, you don't have the same gun, the same lot of powder, the same lot of bullets, same lot of cases, or the same lot of primers, and maybe not even the same COL--and you expect to get the same results as the reloading manual?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
whatever powder I find to use, first I go to the manufacturers website and download the latest data. my old Accurate Arms manuals for instance, are out dated. the new owners have revised the data, so everything I load with Accurate powders gets checked and double checked.
I have used this method successfully and safely for years, and with a variety of powders and calibers. It ain't like baking a cake!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts