Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen people post about it being hard to do the first bunch of times without a punch, but it seems like the way they manufactures mine it will be impossible to actually take it out because of the overlapping structure. I bought a case with the specific intent to take off the upper from the lower for a smaller package when transporting, but it seems like this will make it impossible to use (VISM Covert Carbine Case).

Any ideas?

Also... I was trying to undo the castle screw thing and accidentally turned it the wrong way when trying to loosen it. Now I can't untighten it. Best ways to get it loose without damaging the polymer? Tightened by hand.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
You can replace the pins with extended TD pins. I have had them and one rifle still does. Much easier to pull them out. Yankee Hill makes nice ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can replace the pins with extended TD pins. I have had them and one rifle still does. Much easier to pull them out. Yankee Hill makes nice ones.
Im not really worried about how hard it would be to get it out, but I'm more worried about not being able to take it out at all.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I'm a little confused by what you're asking, but here goes. First, if you're trying to separate the upper and lower, and the front pin is tight, just use a metal punch and a mallet to get it loose.

Second, it sounds like you mean the delta ring, not the castle nut. If you've got it too tight, you can still loosen it, but be careful. I wrapped mine with a rag, and carefully loosened it with a pipe wrench.

Once you get it loose, put some anti-seize compound on the threads before you tighten it up again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not sure how to help then. The picture shows a standard pin and lower. Work it back and forth.
It is a standard pin, but some of the outside of the pin in under the arched part,sovering a small portion of the pin.

edit: Nevermind. Im a stupid head. The front pin isn't completely round...

·
Registered
137 Posts
The edge of the pin is flat on the back side just give it a good push (or tap with a plastic mallet) from the left side, it'll pop loose then just pull it out (pin will stay retained in the lower)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The edge of the pin is flat on the back side just give it a good push (or tap with a plastic mallet) from the left side, it'll pop loose then just pull it out (pin will stay retained in the lower)
Yep. I was hesitant to just hit it with a good push because I thought it would mess up the ridge I thought was covering it. Just went for it and got it separated. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm with you....i install YHM extended pins on all of my builds....Makes life easy, they look great and they are not very expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts