Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking online & found this fellow who has a Savage Model 99 .243 mfg roughly around the early 50's is tapped & drilled for a scope rile looks to have a brass counter. The seller is looking for a coyote rifle setup I offered him my Marlin X7 .223 with a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope. Looks like he's interested he has a picture of my Marlin acted liked my rifle/scope. Comments & thoughts appreciated thx!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'm a 99 fan. It's one of the finest lever guns ever made, a dream to carry all day, it balances that well. A very strong gun. There are many different models but no bad ones I'm aware of. The brass round counter is just one of the cool features.

However, like all guns and particular to old ones, it's all about condition. They are very well made but they are old. Look for a crack where the stock meets the receiver. Wearing of the bluing on the sides of the receiver is common from being carried.

I've passed up at least one because it was in a Savage caliber that not available. I've seen them in VG condition ask $800 and up around here.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this rifle looks excellent to very good either way nice wood & blueing looks very nice also he states the rifle has been sitting in his gun safe not being used. My wants are probably more as to collect then to shoot.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I don't know snott about a Marlin X7 but if you can still buy one, the choice would be easy to me. You can't pick up a VG 99 very often, eps in a current caliber.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I agree I already have my Mini 14 in .223/5.56 that's why I offered my Marlin X7 bolt rifle as a trade.I have made contact with the seller things might work out!

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
The Model 99 is a fine rifle but trying to find someone that knows what they are doing to work on can be problematic. I would want to shoot it before I traded for it. You can tell the year of manufacture from the letter in the serial number if it dates back to the 50's. Google the model 99 for more info.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too good to be true!!! Today was taken up with Xmas shopping yuck! I had plans to meet up with the seller only to find out someone offered him cash I would have added he needed funds to make things work. Oh well wasn't made to happen, no matter got a nice little pocket pistol on lay away so I can better prepare for that. Who knows something might still work out eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts