Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to make a quick post because I love my Blackhawk 4 5/8" in .45 Colt. I had it out at the range today for some stress relief and to try out my handloads.

I loaded up some rounds using the Lee Hand Press. I stopped using the Classic Loader after 50 rounds because I could not get used to pounding on things with a hammer, but that's another story.

Anyway, I am using 255 grain lead over 7.3 grains of Universal. This makes for a pretty fine plinking round. Good times.

That's all!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I loaded many a round with the hand loaders before I moved up to a Turret Press. Still load a few Rifle shells that I don't shoot very much. The old hand loaders did their job.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The reason I felt the need to post is that I have been shooting for over 33 years now, and it has only been very recently that I have gotten into single action revolvers. My current blackhawk is my first non-22 single action. Until now, all of my handguns have been S&W double-action revolvers, and various models of semi-autos.

I have also found that contrary to some other pistols I have fired, the looser my grip on the gun, the more accurate and easily fired it is. Previously, I used a firm grip and let my wrist and forearm move with the recoil. Now, I let the revolver grip roll in my hand with the Blackahawk. Big change for me! It's all new and exciting, for me at least.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Ain't life grand when we can go out and burn some powder! Especially when it some we've made ourselves! Sounds like you had great fun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I need to go out shooting for some stress relief after having to rip a wall out today after work to find the leak... blah ...

I do enjoy shooting my Vaquero on 45 Colt

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have also found that contrary to some other pistols I have fired, the looser my grip on the gun, the more accurate and easily fired it is. Previously, I used a firm grip and let my wrist and forearm move with the recoil. Now, I let the revolver grip roll in my hand with the Blackahawk. Big change for me! It's all new and exciting, for me at least.
That's how I shoot my SA's as well. They put that plow handle grip on for a reason.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gah... I just noticed that I had typed "Blackahawk" in my second post. Must be my Italian showing through...

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's a good way to loosen up after a stressful day. Noise, light, concussion, smoke, and recoil. You gotta love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts