Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the LCP but the grip is too small for my mitt; I'd have to get a grip extension.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
785 Posts
My personal opinion is the 380 is for tiny pistols. If you need a bigger gun than the LCP for your hands, I'd suggest a bigger caliber as well. I personally don't see the point of a 380 that's the same size as a 9mm or bigger. With any gun, it's all about trade offs. Bigger gun = less concealable. Bigger caliber = fewer rounds. With the LC380 you're giving up the benefit of a tiny gun but not gaining anything in caliber. Just my opinion.

Not to mention 380 is expensive to shoot compared to others.

I have the LCP which I use when my preferred carry guns don't fit my attire. The LCP fits anywhere which is why I have it, otherwise I use a bigger caliber.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good points.

My first thought is, as far as a carry, God forbid, one should hope you only need one or two shots to get out of a situation.

·
Registered
350 Posts
stormgade4: My hands are also too big to hold an LCP comfortably, even w/ a grip extension, & I just plain do not care for the 9x19mm cartridge (a long, boring story which would be out of place in this thread). As such I wound up buying a Sig P232 (which is .380 ACP), & I love it. I'm curious to see if I can wield the (slightly smaller) LC380 as efficiently, though.

If I were you I'd try to take a live fire "test drive" of both the LC9 & LC380, & purchase whichever you can shoot most accurately. If that's an LC9, so be it. In any event, don't let anyone talk you out of .380 ACP if it's what works best you. Better a .380 ACP (or any other caliber) that you enjoy firing, & fire well, than a 9x19mm (or any other caliber) that you do not.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
If the LCP is too small then go w/ the LC9. Cheaper ammo, better ballistics, same size. Unless you're really recoil sensitive, the LC380 is pointless IMO.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The LC380 has many advantages over the LCP. Real sights, an extra round, last shot hold open, a grip you can hold onto, reduced recoil, and a slide that is easier to rack. You do give up the ability to pocket carry with the LC380.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If the LCP is too small then go w/ the LC9. Cheaper ammo, better ballistics, same size. Unless you're really recoil sensitive, the LC380 is pointless IMO.
I simply dont understand this logic. I shot my Bersa Thunder and my Sig P238 today, both 380acp and both larger than the LCP. The LC380 will fall in between the Sig and the Bersa in size. The Bersa holds 10 rounds, the Sig, 8. The 380 acp and the 38 special are effectively equal in performance, but no one thinks a 5 shot snub chambered in 38 special is pointless. How can my Bersa Thunder with twice the capacity, or the Sig or Ruger LC380 with 8 rounds, be pointless? Not everybody wants a tiny pistol, with no sights, a terrible trigger, no last shot hold open, 7 rounds, and difficulty getting fast, accurate follow up shots off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you are considering the LC380, I would go with the LC9. I just got one recently. I am still interested in the LCP, even though it's a smaller caliber, it is easier to conceal with certain attire.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ever consider a .38 or .357 LCR?
Also an excellent idea. They're eminently concealable, but feel a lot better in my hand than the LCP.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I simply dont understand this logic. I shot my Bersa Thunder and my Sig P238 today, both 380acp and both larger than the LCP. The LC380 will fall in between the Sig and the Bersa in size. The Bersa holds 10 rounds, the Sig, 8. The 380 acp and the 38 special are effectively equal in performance, but no one thinks a 5 shot snub chambered in 38 special is pointless. How can my Bersa Thunder with twice the capacity, or the Sig or Ruger LC380 with 8 rounds, be pointless? Not everybody wants a tiny pistol, with no sights, a terrible trigger, no last shot hold open, 7 rounds, and difficulty getting fast, accurate follow up shots off.
The logic is that it's pointless to carry a .380 if you can carry a 9mm in (practically) the same pistol, unless you're recoil sensitive.
In other words, all other things the same, why would you carry a .380 instead of a 9mm unless you're recoil sensitive?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The LC380 has many advantages over the LCP. Real sights, an extra round, last shot hold open, a grip you can hold onto, reduced recoil, and a slide that is easier to rack. You do give up the ability to pocket carry with the LC380.
Exactly; you nailed it. Many are carrying .22 because they cannot handle a 9 mm well. The LC380 may be a perfect blend.

Besides, it is an easy transition for Ruger. If it sells they have a winner; if it doesn't they are out nothing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I carry my Browning BDA .380 13+1 in the winter and I carry my Sig P238 7+1 in the summer. I have shot and carried the PT111 Millennium Pro, S&W MP 40, Delta Elite, Sig P220 Elite, Bersa Thunder, and a Colt 1911. I have never felt under powered carrying my Browning BDA or my Sig P238 I find them lighter and easier to carry. As far as expense I reload all my own so get off the expense as being as reason not to get a .380 just start reloading your own and they way the price of ammo is now its a wash anyway I can find .380 rounds just as cheap as 9mm. I find them a pleasure to shoot and you can shoot them all day. As far as the LC 380 is concern I'll be getting one as soon as they come in and replace my Browning BDA for winter carry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone who loves the conceal-ability of the LCP but hates the small grip or finds the recoil too snappy should really try the Hogue Hybrid grip... New Hogue grip hybrid sleeve specifically Made for Ruger LCP. Review with pics. - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! ...(not my review) it makes shooting a dream, it fills your hand more like a j-frame and unless you are in the skinny jeans crowd, it doesn't affect pocket carry at all.

I would love Ruger to take a cue from this grip & make the LCP in a double stack, same tiny gun with a more comfortable grip & more rounds :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with the guy that said why get a big .380? Stupid to get a .380 in a form factor that you can have in 9mm.

Oh wait..., I have a Sig P232 and a Bersa Thunder 380cc and they're two of my favorite, easy shooting, most accurate handguns.

In other words, the logic is good, but which guns you like is not always logical...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I recently sold two mid-size .380s, a Walther PP I brought back from Germany and a Beretta 85F (just like my issue M9 only smaller). Both were terrific guns and my Beretta was my carry weapon for many years. Enter the LCP--a .380 ultra-small and ultra-light, I ended up carrying it all the time in a fobus evolution holster. It made the others obsolete as far as .380s go. Personally, I would go with an LCR or LC9 if I were looking for a larger firearm. Once my SimplyRugged holster arrives I am going to check out how my new SP101 is for EDC. If recoil is an issue then I think the LC380 would be okay, hmmm...I might lean more toward a SA/DA pistol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love my LCP..I have a pocket clip on it clip it in my pocket walking the dog thru the woods..we have coyotes in the woods..Although when clipped in my pocket its almost always unchambered but I'm pretty fast at getting it out and chambering it...thats how I practice at the range..and when carrying for ccw I have a wallet it fits in..chambered...and it fires from IN the wallet...and if anyone wants my money...well your not gonna like what you get...

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts