Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last couple of shooting sessions with my Ruger P97, I have noticed an unusual "quirk" that wasn't there before (or at least if it was there I didn't notice it before).

After the gun has fired and the hammer has been recocked for another shot, when I'm squeezing the trigger gently to try and get an accurate single action shot, there will be a slight audible "click" and the hammer will move forward perhaps 1/32 of an inch or so, after which a bit more pressure will cause the hammer to fall forward and the gun will fire.

I have as yet experienced no malfunctions with this gun of any kind, but this new occurance does concern me a bit. I would appreciate any input as to why this is happening and what might need to be done about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You have developed a burr on the sear edge. What you feel is the hammer slipping over the burr toward the edge. I don't know how old your P97 is, but there was a change to the sear to eliminate this issue in the P97s. Chances are you will have to send it in to get the sear replaced with the newer version. Give them a call. Don't try to remove the burr yourself as it involves a sensitive locking angle that must be factory set and checked.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot.

Can you tell me if there is any problem with continuing to shoot the gun until I get it fixed?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Ruger yesterday, and the lady said all the techs were at the range and that they'd call me back.

Alas, they never did.

Guess I'll call THEM back Monday.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Mine did the same thing after about 500 rounds. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it free (except for the $49 it cost to ship it there overnight). The click went away, but the trigger still had a sack full of creep before it released. We have since parted company. Too bad, because it was a nice gun. I just can't deal with a trigger that is that bad.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You will never get a target trigger out of a 'P' Series pistol without aftermarket modifications. The 'creep' was intentionally built in because the gun was designed as a service pistol, not a target gun. The hammer/sear interface was designed to be at a minimum of 5 lbs in SA, sufficient engagement to prevent ADs, and a locking angle to prevent accidents if handled roughly or dropped. You want a target trigger, buy a target gun.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the trigger fine, except for the problem that's come up.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
quote:Originally posted by COFFEE POT

You will never get a target trigger out of a 'P' Series pistol without aftermarket modifications. The 'creep' was intentionally built in because the gun was designed as a service pistol, not a target gun. The hammer/sear interface was designed to be at a minimum of 5 lbs in SA, sufficient engagement to prevent ADs, and a locking angle to prevent accidents if handled roughly or dropped. You want a target trigger, buy a target gun.
I don't expect target grade out of a $400 gun, but all my other P-series were infinitely better. I really like Ruger pistols - I just got a bad one. I still have a KP345, KP944D and a KP95D and all 3 are 100% reliable, have good triggers and are quite accurate. Out of the 8 P-series that I had, I kept the 3 that suited me best.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This problem is getting worse. Ruger, when I called them the first time shortly after making this post, denied it was their problem, since it didn't fall withing the serial number parameters of the flaw Coffeepot was talking about. I think it IS their problem, and will be calling them again Tuesday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts