Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I was working some loads up for 9mm so I can transition for Hogdon CFE pistol powder to HP-38 since HP-38 seems to be the only powder I can get in my area.

Anyway, I am reloading 9MM and noticed that for a 9MM 115 Grain bullet the starting load is 4.7 grains and the max load is 5.1 grains. For 124 grain bullet the starting load is 3.9 to and the max load 4.4 grains.

I'm new to reloading so i apologize in advance if the following is a basic very question. Why does a lighter weight bullet uses a higher charge while a heavier bullet requires a lighter powder charge?

Thanks.....

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The heavier bullet is usually seated deeper in the case so the powder charge needs to be less to avoid over pressuring the cartridge.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
490 Posts
I looked at the link also. Very good. Very informative.
I hope you like the HP-38. I am a big fan of the CFE Pistol Powder. I have loaded some with the HP-38 and have had good results with it also. It appears to be the most accurate in my 9 mm at the max load you listed. I started at 4.0 grains and also loaded some at the 4.4. The hotter load grouped tighter, but to be honest I have not finished working on loads with the HP-38. The 4.4 grains does not feel as hot as my load in the CFE, but I won't go any higher than the 4.4 grains of HP-38. It is a clean burning powder.
I have noticed that many of the pros load with faster burning powder such as HP38/W231 or Tightgroup in the 9 mm. There has to be a very good reason for that. I like it in 9 mm but prefer slower, or much slower, powder in 357 magnum. It allows me to get much higher velocity without raising the pressure and wearing out my guns. Hey! If I am shooting a 357, I want it to be Magnum and not 38 special. :D

Good luck with it the HP-38. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope you like the HP-38. I am a big fan of the CFE Pistol Powder. I have loaded some with the HP-38 and have had good results with it also. It appears to be the most accurate in my 9 mm at the max load you listed. I started at 4.0 grains and also loaded some at the 4.4. The hotter load grouped tighter, but to be honest I have not finished working on loads with the HP-38. The 4.4 grains does not feel as hot as my load in the CFE, but I won't go any higher than the 4.4 grains of HP-38. It is a clean burning powder.
I have noticed that many of the pros load with faster burning powder such as HP38/W231 or Tightgroup in the 9 mm. There has to be a very good reason for that. I like it in 9 mm but prefer slower, or much slower, powder in 357 magnum. It allows me to get much higher velocity without raising the pressure and wearing out my guns. Hey! If I am shooting a 357, I want it to be Magnum and not 38 special. :D

Sadly, where I live, in NJ I don't have many gun shops and only one in the area has reloading supplies so I have to purchase whatever powder they have. If not I'm looking at a 2.5 hour drive to the next place that has powder. They used to have HP38 but I purchased the last pound, so now they only have Titegroup. I have 3 pounds of HP-38 and then I move onto the 4 pounds of Titegroup that I have stored. I'm going to see if I can afford to buy another four pounds to Titegroup.

Luckily I'm not a high volume shooter so I don't go through a lot of powder per say.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You might want to look into getting your powder online. I know there is a Hazmat charge involved. If you get a couple of your reloading buddies to combine orders, the fee can be shared. This will save you gas and time.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts

I am a fan of Hodgdon's CFE Pistol also & it has become my main powder for 9mm & 45acp. It works well in my 380acp also, but I like the faster burn of TiteGroup in that cartridge. A pound of TiteGroup goes a long way in the little 380!

HP-38 is a very good powder, and I used it for awhile in all my pistol loads, but could not find it for a year.
CFE Pistol works better in my test in 9mm with 124 grain bullets & that is the weight I have settled on, as I picked up 2,000 of them at a great price.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
This afternoon I was working some loads up for 9mm so I can transition for Hogdon CFE pistol powder to HP-38 since HP-38 seems to be the only powder I can get in my area.

Anyway, I am reloading 9MM and noticed that for a 9MM 115 Grain bullet the starting load is 4.7 grains and the max load is 5.1 grains. For 124 grain bullet the starting load is 3.9 to and the max load 4.4 grains.

I'm new to reloading so i apologize in advance if the following is a basic very question. Why does a lighter weight bullet uses a higher charge while a heavier bullet requires a lighter powder charge?

Thanks.....

rojasi, I use the very loads you mentioned with HP-38 & Berry's or Xtreme plated bullets in 9mm and had good success with it.
4.7 grains with a 115 grain RN bullet seated to 1.130" C.O.L.
& 4.4 grains with a 124 grain RN bullet seated to 1.160" C.O.L.
I got a COL (Cartridge Overall Length) Chart from Berry's Mfg.

It cycled all my 9mm's with various length barrels & was accurate.
I have since settled on 124 RN grain bullets only & moved to CFE Pistol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts