Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Ruger forum! Long time lurker, first time poster. My father and I have taken up reloading and have run into a bit of a quandary.

We've used Magtech 158gr SJSP .357 magnum bullets and Alliant BE-86 powder for our last two batches of ammo. The Alliant BE-86 recipe page lists the max powder amount for each type of bullet and weight. Last time we used 7.8gr with these same 158gr SJSP bullets and the rounds shot beautifully out of the GP100 and the SP101. Felt nearly identical to the Fiocchi 142gr we generally shoot at the range, nothing too hot.

The Alliant page only lists JHP and cast RNFP bullets on their site, not the semi jacketed soft point style we're using. This time, we accidently loaded these same 158gr SJSP bullets with the max 8.1gr of powder listed for the RNFP. Luckily haven't fired any yet before realizing this error.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

My question is where do SJSP bullets fall in regards to powder usage? Should we continue to follow the JHP guidelines? Or would the RNFP powder guidelines be ok since they share a similar a profile (but different hardness)? I'm not opposed to breaking these bullets down and re-measuring powder, just wanted to figure this out first. Been having zero luck finding any info after a solid hour of searching, so any help and information is appreciated. As you can tell, total newbies here. Thank you all for your t[

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wish I could help but I have never used that powder or bullet so I won't even make a guess. Someone is bound to chime in soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Not trying to sound like a dick but did you work up the load from the 10% less powder as a starting load as per Alliant's warning, especially as Alliant's data is max loads?
REDUCE RIFLE AND HANDGUN CHARGE WEIGHTS BY 10% TO ESTABLISH A STARTING LOAD.
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Chances are you could have settled on a load below max that has way better accuracy especially if you're punching paper. Even the experienced guys at THR that have a lot of reloading knowledge don't use max loads.
Long topic here on BE-86 and it sounds like an excellent powder:
BE-86 - THR

Except BE-86 is not for full power magnum loads as stated by an Alliant rep,,, plus at the time there was a typo in their data:
Really, BE-86 isn't designed for the magnum applications, except for target shooting and maybe shorter barrel loads.
THR - View Single Post - BE-86

To answer your question NO do not use cast bullet loads with jacketed bullets!

Be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a ton for the links and answer! You don't sound like a dick at all, it was my silly mistake. We worked our way up with the first loads being lower than the Alliant max listed for the 158gr JHP. Eventually decided to try the max with a few rounds to see how rough it would be in the 2.25" SP101 and how well the flash suppressant would work. Ended up making a dumb mistake and mixing up the data between the JHP and the cast RNFP. :eek:

I had never heard of BE-86 and couldn't find any info in our existing books, but a local gun store clerk suggested it for .357 mag. I'll be sure to keep in mind all of your info and the info from the THR thread. Glad I asked before loading up the GP or SP. Looks like it's time to pop out those bullets and re-measure the powder.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Your semi jacketed bullets would be about the same as JHP's because the part of your bullet that engages the rifling in your barrel is jacketed. The data for the RNFP that you posted in yourfirst post is for a CAST RNFP, which is completely different than your jacketed bullet. What the bullet is made of is what matters, not what the shape of it is.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Your two ruger handguns are very stout firearms. Since you are only 3 tenths of a grain over your max load for a jacketed bullet. They may be safe to fire in those two ruger 357 mags. If you did not see any high pressure signs when you worked up to that max load for jacketed bullets, you should be safe as most reloading data today takes into consideration the ammo being fired in some weaker guns of that caliber.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks a ton for the links and answer! You don't sound like a dick at all, it was my silly mistake. We worked our way up with the first loads being lower than the Alliant max listed for the 158gr JHP. Eventually decided to try the max with a few rounds to see how rough it would be in the 2.25" SP101 and how well the flash suppressant would work. Ended up making a dumb mistake and mixing up the data between the JHP and the cast RNFP. :eek:

I had never heard of BE-86 and couldn't find any info in our existing books, but a local gun store clerk suggested it for .357 mag. I'll be sure to keep in mind all of your info and the info from the THR thread. Glad I asked before loading up the GP or SP. Looks like it's time to pop out those bullets and re-measure the powder.

Thanks again!
I'm glad you didn't take what I typed the wrong way. After I posted it I thought to myself I sounded kind of harsh especially since I don't know if you worked up loads to begin with. Being a fairly new powder there isn't a lot of data available for the reloading community.

I just happened to be investigating BE-86 recently and it seems a very good pistol powder with great characteristics. I'm definitely going to get some myself and test it out. Don't forget accuracy usually doesn't come with full house loads and this powder with a 357 mag is only for target loads.

Take care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts