Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a Rossi 357/38 20" lever action rifle, and I'm looking for some suggestions on good combinations of bullet/powders. I'm using Unique for my pistol loads, but I feel like it burns too fast to be effective in a rifle. I'm trying to stay fairly simple with supplies, so I'd like to use the same bullet I plan on using in my 357, a 158g lead truncated cone from penn bullets. I'm thinking that 2400 would work well, or possibly H110 or W296. I'm leaning more towards 2400, because I wouldn't need a magnum primer, and from the data I've seen, I should be able to achieve similar velocities. What does everyone think? Thanks in advance guys. :)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I feel you're correct on the Unique, altho I do use it in the rifle with .38+P loads for plinking
For the .357 I've been loading MP300 at 10% under max(Alliants recommendation) with 125grFMJHP Montana gold and Win 158 FMJHP bullets. I've run 'em over the Chrony at 2000fps on the 125 and 1700fps w the 158. Real good groups at 50 yards and 75. Next trip to the range I'll see what they are doing at 100.
(Starline cases and Winchester Small Pistol primers wit a healthy roll crimp)
I've loaded a bunch of 2400(using Speer recommendations) but haven't check speed but performs well and burns clean. Speer loads don't use magnum primer on 2400 loads but Hornady does. I like the Speer loads better w 2400.
I would wait for some recommendations for somebody with cast bullet knowledge because pressure will be quite different with cast boolets.
By the way, I love my '92!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unique is the powder in my Favorited plinkin' load outta my 20'' Rossi .357 lever. IMR 4227 and H110/W296 are what I use in it for hunting loads. Make sure your Unique loads produces over 850FPS in a revolver to reduce the chances of stickin' a bullet in your Rossi.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For 'magnum loads' 110/296 and 2400 will work, but I've been using Lil' Gun lately and am happy with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear that the penn bullet works well, even out of a rifle, I was a little worried it might pick up too muh speed out of a longer barrel. My hope is to develop a good/fairly hot load that will work well out of both my rifle and my security six. I shoot mostly 38spl out of my six, but it's nice to run a few hotter loads through it from time to time, especially when I let someone else fire it. Makes a nice comparison between the mild 38s and the magnum 357. I plan on running the rifle exclusively on a 357 diet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Stay with the Unique, have been using it in 38/357 rifle loads for many years and it is very accurate out to 100 yds with a fairly light load

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
What do you want the load to do?

I use 2400 and W296 with different bullets in my .357/.44 loads. They work the best at the top end of the performance range with respect to accuracy, and consume nearly twice as much propellant per round as Unique. Leading with most cast bullets at 1500-1700fps, the speeds those two powders look best at for accuracy, is usually pretty bad.

I also use Penn Bullets in both rifle and handgun loads, for those I get the best balance of velocity, accuracy, and leading of the bore, with Unique or W231 in my rifle loads, or Blue Dot in my handgun loads. Penn rates the bullets for pretty high velocities, but I've had little luck with them much past 1300fps or so.

As you have Unique on hand, start with that. You'll likely be pleased with the results in your Rossi.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the answers so far guys, gives me lots to think about. I probably will start with Unique, but I think I want something a little hotter for my "mag" loads. Lil Gun is a powder I hadn't considered, but it seems like it might be a good option. Bit more weight variation between starting and max loads than 110/296 and similar burn rate and velocity with condsiderably less pressure. I havent found a ton of reloading data for Lil Gun, but I'm sure there is some out there, if nothing else I can call Hodgdon. I may just end up buying a couple different powders and playing until I find something that myself and my guns like.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I use the same Penn bullet in the 'premium' alloy...In .357 Mag, I shoot it over 5gr Red Dot in all my handguns...

I do not have a 357 Mag rifle, but I use the same bullet in my .35 Remington over 7gr of Red Dot...

Data for .35 Rem found here (also includes .357 data):

Lever Gun Performance Studies

·
Registered
649 Posts
I am going to try these Penn "premium" TCBB gas checked next outing with an undisclosed for now charge of 2400 from my 77/357.
Are those the 200gr that were announced in October?

They are still not listed on their site...I'd love to buy some without checks, and add my own, but I have been waiting for them to show up on the site...

ADDING:

Never mind...Found them...

http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38200tcgc.html

I'm betting my .35 Rem will love these in .359"...

ADDING MORE:

And then of course, I read the page and found they are not offered over .3575" size?

Hmm...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts