Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shooting today for the first time in 7 months.

Last fall I contracted COVID. It really kicked my butt.
Then I had my cataracts removed and had to wait for new shooting specs (another topic).

So this morning I took my CZ 75, Ruger 45 Colt Bisley, and the Single Seven and 50 rounds for each one.
All pistols that I usually shoot well.

I couldn't hit jack squat.
I had to re-adjust my sights on the revolvers and find a different hold spot for the CZ due to eye job I suppose.
But I was still all over the place.

So I went back to basics...focusing on my grip, stance, and trigger pull, like I was brand new at the game.
Things began to improve on the last 50 rounds with the Single Seven.

I have always considered myself to be an above average pistolero. It's amazing how fast you can lose your edge if you don't stay in practice.

Practice! Practice! Practice!

·
Super Moderator
4,231 Posts
Shooting is a perishable skill. Shoot as often as your time, budget and lifestyle will allow. I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat. Thanks know I haven’t shot as much as normal.

·
Administrator
22,139 Posts
Always good to smell the powder burn. Sounds like a matter of getting back into it and you'll no doubt shoot better with the improved vision.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sex is the only skill a man can do faster, without practice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your eyes certainly added to the degradation but every instructor I've had and every article I've read says we lose skills over time without practice. I've seen a lot of % amounts thrown around and I think some of it depends on the person and also what level shooter they are. I try to practice every 2 weeks at the least.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
3,099 Posts
Glad you got out for a test run.
*Age, Covid and surgery is quite a bit to hurdle so I am glad you are able to shoot and have a chance to improve on your situation.
*CZ 75, Ruger 45 Colt Bisley, and the Single Seven are all just amazing shooters. You have good taste.
*Like you stated you can loose your edge fast. I for one wish you many more range visits. Keep your self healthy!
*Hope to hear from you soon.
"LONG LIVE BILL RUGER1"

Reactions: KannapolisHawk

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
One of my buds is a USPA guy or whatever it’s called. He says he shoots at least 20K rounds a year......but he dry fires probably 40K a year on top of the 20K rounds of live fire.

I ran some of my rifles a month ago, last time I was out was April 21, 2020. I didn’t shoot any worse than I usually do :p, but I dry fire them a couple times a week. Barring any changes in your physical condition you shouldn’t lose a thing.......if you’re dry firing. YMMV

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Just glad you got back to being able to shoot. Any adjustment eye wise is going to affect how you see the sights. No doubt!

I was out for the first time in several months yesterday, and it took me a bit to get the feel back. I never never dry fire my guns, but that is just me. Found myself flinching a little bit to start with when shooting the big bores. But after a few cylinder loads, I was back in the groove. To me it is a lot like riding a bike... Doesn't take long to be 'back'..... at least out to 50yards or so knocking down steel. Didn't do any bullseye work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a rough time yesterday with my 9mm 1911s. Wife outshot me even. Been a long time since I shot that poorly. Wasn’t that I hadn’t been shooting, just an off day.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I shoot regularly with two friends. We aim for once a week, year round. Because of my age and physical limitations, our sessions cannot last more than 1 1/2 hours each time, but you can get a lot of focused, significant skill building drills done in that amount of time.

We begin every sessions with basics. That is what was done at the most excellent school hubby and I attended several times. It did not matter how Advanced the class was - you began with the basics.

Sometimes, if it seems we are getting our groups too wide (or worse, missing those swinging, hanging bottles that we string between the regular target stands as we move and shoot), we dedicate most of a whole session to basics. My friends are relatively new shooters. I've been shooting regularly for over 25 years. I need the return to basics as much as they do!

·
Premium Member
14,866 Posts
Good reasons to do more shooting and reloading! Great thing you are able to shoot again!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Glad I picked up some of the look alike CO2s that started popping up years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts