Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what technique can i use please to accurize my first shot using my ruger p94 40 caliber. There must be some techiques i can use need help on this please.
Thank you,
Coronel

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
The method I used to get half way decent at Double action was to rack one, decock, fire DA... decock, fire DA... and so on... Paper plates are good for these drills... Speed comes later, so take your time.

Then I progressed to rack one, decock, fire DA, fire SA, decock, fire DA, fire SA, and so on... to get the difference in DA and SA trigger pulls down.

Then I started moving right... using DA, SA, SA... Then left DA, SA, SA... Then back DA, SA, SA...

As I got better, I started to increase range...

Now if I am confronted, you guessed it, DA SA SA until the "threat" stops... 2-4" groups at 25 yards standing still, and 4-6" groups moving... Good enough to defend myself, my family and property.

I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
No problem... Always glad to help...

I am working now on multiple threats, at different ranges... paper plates on boxes at 5, 7, 15 and 25 yards... Always using DA as the first shot, as that is how I carry, one in the pipe, decocked... then SA, SA and so on. It never hurts to be ready, as Sheepdog says "Trouble never makes an appointment". As so many have said, here and elsewhere, practice like you'll fight, and when the need finds you, instinct takes over, and you'll be just fine...

As the weather gets better, I'll be practicing using my truck. Egressing ready to defend and cover... That's what is so nice about having an outdoor range... I can use "daily life" props, like my truck, for practice.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Are you having problems with the transition between DA/SA or just the DA only shot? One drill would be to get some dummy rounds and either load several mags at once alternating the dummy rounds with live rounds or get a shooting buddy to load for you so that you won't see whether you are getting live or dummy rounds. After each shot, decock and then make another shot. If when you hit a dummy round your front sight dives on you, you know that your are either jerking the trigger or anticipating the recoil or trying to "pick off" the perfect shot instead of shooting through the wobble.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Too bad Ruger has stopped making DAO (double action only) P-series pistols. One of those would have been the perfect solution to your problem. J&G Sales (www.jgsales.com/index.php/handguns/ruger/cPath/16_148) still has some of the P95DAOs ($299 used) listed on it's web page. When I bought one, they didn't charge me shipping. I don't know if that is their policy or just a fluke.

I want my defensive handguns either single-action only (cocked and locked) or double action only. Except at extremely close range, the double action/single action "gear shift" will most likely have you missing when you want to be hitting!

My P93DAO and P95DAO Rugers have no safety levers and no decocking levers, but do have exactly the same trigger pull every shot. Now if I can only find a P90DAO or P97DAO...

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My preference was DAO-my P97DAO was long and heavy on the squeeze-but didn't have to think about anything but sqqquuuueeeeeeze...I'd like to get another-takes more practice...what I always teach is you shouldn't know when the shot will fire-just squeeze and let it surprise you-when you think "Now"-you tend to pull a little...my P90DC seems to have a bit better trigger on the first DA shot...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
A double action revolver works quite well.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Rick, is there any point in having the cock notch filed off a revolver to make the double action smoother? I've had a trigger job done on my M649 and it's butter-smooth-but I still have the option to cock it...my M65 3", however, has the hammer bobbed and I'll probably never cock it again-any benefit to changing it to true DAO?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Not really, it's just more lawyer safe! With a bobbed hammer it's a pain to grab hold of the hammer and also not entirely safe. I was never going to use it SA again anyway, and after reading so many of Mas Ayoob's court room stories I figured it wouldn't hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts