Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,017 Posts
The method I used to get half way decent at Double action was to rack one, decock, fire DA... decock, fire DA... and so on... Paper plates are good for these drills... Speed comes later, so take your time.

Then I progressed to rack one, decock, fire DA, fire SA, decock, fire DA, fire SA, and so on... to get the difference in DA and SA trigger pulls down.

Then I started moving right... using DA, SA, SA... Then left DA, SA, SA... Then back DA, SA, SA...

As I got better, I started to increase range...

Now if I am confronted, you guessed it, DA SA SA until the "threat" stops... 2-4" groups at 25 yards standing still, and 4-6" groups moving... Good enough to defend myself, my family and property.

I hope this helps you out.

· Registered
4,017 Posts
No problem... Always glad to help...

I am working now on multiple threats, at different ranges... paper plates on boxes at 5, 7, 15 and 25 yards... Always using DA as the first shot, as that is how I carry, one in the pipe, decocked... then SA, SA and so on. It never hurts to be ready, as Sheepdog says "Trouble never makes an appointment". As so many have said, here and elsewhere, practice like you'll fight, and when the need finds you, instinct takes over, and you'll be just fine...

As the weather gets better, I'll be practicing using my truck. Egressing ready to defend and cover... That's what is so nice about having an outdoor range... I can use "daily life" props, like my truck, for practice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.