Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
I'm not to the chemo point - yet. Probably within the next year. Ten-year(+) "survivor" with prostate cancer that had spread to my spine. Hormone treatments (not chemo) did well for over seven years but now the PSA is starting to register again. "Undetectable" PSA is generally thought to contain the spread of the metastatic bone cancer (since it is still prostate cancer). No pain yet.

So, just another part of my journey in this mortal life that God had planned out for me. But prayers help, most certainly!

·
One Star
9,631 Posts
I been there and went through it. Praying!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Lord lay your healing hands on all cancer victims, guide them and their families through this trial.
Provide them comfort and strength.
We ask this in your holy name.
Amen

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a rare disease called Amyloidosis. It isn't a true "cancer" in that it involves malformed protein cells. These cells lodge in major organs and are never destroyed the damage they have done to the organ will be there the rest of your life. My damage is in the kidneys, heart and neuro system.
It took over 3 years to diagnose. Once I got to the right docs (Mayo) it took 10 days.
This disease is treated with chemo much like cancer. Weekly infusions and weekly blood tests. I am half way thru a years worth of weekly chemo and hope I can keep going, as I suffer from depression. I usually have 3-4 "good" days a week. The remaining are filled with nausea and sleep.
I went from a do anything, anytime 240 pounder to a 153 pound bag of uselessness with zero energy. With meds i have gotten my weight back to 175, but the energy just isn't there. As some of you might know, the mental toll is just as great as the physical. The effect on your family life and caregivers is tremendous.
All this to say I am asking for Gods guidance in this journey and his help with depression. If you have a loved one going through chemo, say a prayer for them and visit with them to pray together and give encouragement.

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
Thomas, I have not walked in your shoes. Yet.

My dying Dad (brain cancer) lamented in his last few months that he didn't want to "be a burden". As I explained to my Dad, he wasn't a "burden" but a loved one in need, just as I was as a new-born who needed 2AM feedings and diaper changes and soothing and loving cuddling: I was honored to return that most human favor. I asked him if I was a "burden" to him and he immediately responded with "no, we loved you and you needed us". It didn't take much for him to figure out the reversed roles. I felt it an honor to return that "favor", and Dad understood.

Consider that "the effect on your family and caregivers is tremendous" is also an opportunity for them to help a loved one in ways no other could. There is little more fulfilling than the feeling of helping one in need - particularly a loved one in need. Words "for better or for worse, till death do us part" mean more than just the verbal chants of a ceremony. Accept them as a pledge, unto God, by those who love you. Compassion is a most powerful emotion.

For me, I went from a strapping 165-170# fit guy to a struggling-to-achieve 130# guy in a year. At one point, my beloved Fi (Avatar) weighed more than me. It was a function of a number of things, but I'm now at a fairly stable 130#. But 50# bales of hay are a bit more difficult to handle. That is all part of life.

Through all of this, I trust in God and Jesus' salvation. I cherish His blessings each and every day, and discover His blessings each and every day when I look back on my life.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,630 Posts
Thomas and all others in the same situation. Prayers to you and keep taking it a day at a time. Easier said than done I know. After several surgeries, treatments and wasting away to nothing. In the middle of all this my wife and I lost our 22yr. old son in 2015. I know it is hard physically and mentally. Enjoy your family each day you have with them because today is all we really have. I myself have finally started to have better days and gained a little mass back. It is a hard fight and may be worth it in the end. I pray for you and wish you nothing but the best. Trust in God and take each day with a attempt to make it a good one. Ask for help when you need it!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts