Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope, 4-12Xx40 and Nikon A-Series medium scope rings. Thought this was correct but the front is so close to the handguard I can't get lens cover on and concerned about scope being so close to guard. Maybe go to the high rings? Anyone else use a 40 with? Rings.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
First welcome to the forum.

If you can't get the covers on it, step up to a taller ring. The objective bell being to close the guard is not an issue though.......provided it not touching the guard. Once it's mounted properly it's not going anywhere. As with all my long range guns, I strive to get the lowest mount I possibly can with out touching the Barrel/hand guard.

Some may view this differently, but that's what I do.

Here Kitty Kitty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I think I will just leave her alone since not touching guard and modify or change lens cover.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You should be just fine as long as there is no contact between the bell and rifle. I went a little taller with my setup, but those were rings I already had. The rifle is actually for my son, so we’ll see if the taller rings work for him. Otherwise, I’ll be going the same route as you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
How is the scope lined up with your eye?
Close your eyes and shoulder the rifle. Take a few seconds to move it around to find the most comfortable position against your cheek.
Then open your eyes and see where you are looking at the scope. If you're lucky you'll have the perfect sight picture.

I usually like my scopes mounted low and have even trimmed the lens cap so it would fit.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,226 Posts
I have a CZ 452 with the scope mounted too low to use a Nikon lens cap. I finally found a set of rubber caps that fit inside the front and rear lens body. They work perfect … kind of like a cork in a bottle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts