Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just putting my new purchase to use. I'm using a 3x9 Redfield Revolution I had laying around. Mounted with Warne medium height rings. With high velocity .22LR (CCI Mini Mag) it is shooting 2.5 inches high at 50 yards with scope adjustment maxed out. When I shoot standard velocity, I'm getting less than an inch at that distance on target. Has anybody else had issues with sighting in their scopes on this rifle?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
This isn't the first time we've down this road with members and their scopes on the Precision Rimfire, (ask my buddy bubba, lol). First your rifle has a 30MOA rail on it, out of the box. I'm going to assume you don't know what a 30MOA rail does, if you did you'd already know the answer/problem, (sorry, I'm not trying to be an a$$). Picture this, you have a rifle with a zero MOA rail on it and you zero the rifle at 100yds. Now, you make NO adjustments to the scope and replace the zero MOA rail with a 30MOA rail. Your first shot and every shot after that will now be 30 inches high at 100yds. If the rail is 10MOA you'd be 10 inches high at 100yds, with a 20 MOA rail you'd be 20 inches high at 100yds, 40 MOA equals 40 inches and so on.

Now lets look at your scope. If my memory serves me, your scope has a total of 56MOA. That equates to 23MOA up and 23MOA down from optical center. If you do the math 23- 30, (your rail) = -7. That's why you cant zero the rifle. Your scope does not have enough vertical travel to get you where you need to be. As I see it you have two options, the first is to replace the 30MOA rail with a 10 or zero MOA rail, the other is to buy a scope that has a minimum of 65MOA of vertical travel, more vertical travel is better though. Keep in mind that the farther away a scope is from optical zero, the worse the performance is regardless if it's on the low side or the high side.

Putting a 30MOA rail on a .22 is one of the silliest things I've seen Ruger do.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mark204,

I appreciate your detailed explanation. I need to located a source to obtain one. I checked Brownell's and they have one for the 10/22. Would have any suggestion of where else to look.

Thanks.

I just checked at shopruger and they have a 0 moa base for the Precision Rim-fire. Since I just purchased the rifle I still have my 20% coupon.

Your a gentleman.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
You're welcome Sir, I'm glad I could help..........I'd go with the Ruger rail myself, your 20% off should drop the price down to $24 plus shipping or so. It "should be" a perfect fit.

Post up how it works out for ya.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don't forget that your Redfield is not a rimfire scope and probably parallax free at 100 yards. If you want to shoot at closer distances you may want to upgrade the scope.

Personally, I like shooting RF (and CF) at longer ranges so would buy a better target scope (with adjustable parallax) and keep the 30 MOA rail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts