Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple of threads where guys were saying that after just a few rounds their Ranch barrels started overheating and throwing off their accuracy. I've also read that the Predator is much less likely to be affected because they have a heavier taper to their barrel. I was all set to drop the hammer on a new Ranch rifle in 350 Legend but that's got me questioning if a Ranch rifle is the right choice. Beside being my new deer rifle I also like to target shoot a lot and having to let the barrel cool down every 3 to 5 rounds doesn't sound like something I'd want to do. Has the barrel overheating problem been over exaggerated or is it a real concern. I could go with a Predator but prefer the Ranch because of the weight. Should I be concerned or is it really a non issue.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Go with a 'varmint' rifle, bull barrel. When I go to the range I go to shoot, not sit and wait for a barrel to cool down. Went with a Tikka T3x Varmint in .223. Does it get hot, yes. Does accuracy change, no. Biggest issue is the mirage from the barrel getting hot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bull barreled varmint rifle would surely serve well for target shooting but I don't relish the idea of breaking through the brush carrying an 8lb rifle as long as a cue stick.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
All mine have HB’s.......8lbs would be light, most of mine are 10 without optics. The only thing you can do is take more rifles and rotate.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to admit, I honestly did not expect overheating to be that touchy of an issue. I probably shoot around 8,000 to 10,000 rounds a year but it's all pistol. My centerfire rifle shooting has usually consisted of a few rounds to make sure it's still zeroed in and at least one more if I get my deer. That's it. I have an AR in the safe that I occasionally will take out and run a hundred rounds through and never noticed any heat related issues with it. How badly do you guy's groups open up after they heat up? I live right next to the state forest so I have the opportunity to go shooting whenever I want. Going out to the woods to watch my rifle cool down lacks a lot of the incentives I get from shooting.

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
I really never had issues of zero changing from heat when I had a Ranch in 223. If it did it wasn't enough to notice. My 6.5 Grendel doesn't seem probe to it either, but it's the Predator model.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I never noticed any POA changes on extended shooting on hot days unlike semi autos. Not something I even worry about especially hunting with exception of P dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts