Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember when the New Vaquero came out? Internal lock. Remember when the .22 MKIII came out? Internal lock. Then there is the P345. Internal lock. I predict that in the not too distant future more, if not all, Ruger handgun models will have this addition. When they first appeared in a Ruger model the addition of the internal lock was kept somewhat quiet. You actually had to "research" to find out about it. It seems like it was a feature that Ruger didn't want to advertise and understandibly so. I think most experienced gun enthusiasts prefer to not have the additional mechanics. Plus, they are sometimes ugly depending on the placement. An example of the unpopular feature being added and then dropped is the Remington 700. Obviously, some people don't mind them, and some have bought into the marketing of additional "safety improvements" but I don't think many actually use them. If you count the padlock, the P345 now has at least 5 safeties.
Anyway, I think all Rugers will eventually have these added.:(

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well, I think you are correct. The internal lock is mandated by a couple of Communist states, and as Ruger is in the gun game to make profit, excluding those states costs money. SO, rather than stand on principal and not give in to those states and not sell the idiots any guns at all, they would rather foist these internal locks on the rest of us in the free states. I honestly think if the gun companys would have stood together and refused to sell these states any guns, including to police officers, they would have had to gave in after a few years. Do like Ronnie Barret is doing and refuse to sell any guns at all to California! Now there is a guy with principal!!!!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I noticed when I got my new P90DC that there was a notice with the manual that it was non-compliant with 6 States Laws and it listed them. There are some of us old codgers that are so set in our ways, that are going to buy the ones without the new safeties and let someone else have the new models. I'm getting stocked up where I won't have to buy any new guns the rest of my life, and can make my Grandkids happy with what I leave them. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought another P95 Decocker. I already had a stainless one and picked this new one up in blue. The decock only mechanism is another "casualty" in the universal legal compliance move.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Kind of like California and auto emission standards?
These states that pass this internal lock stuff i believe are high population centers. Would be interesting to see just how many new ruger handguns are sold/imported per state. If these six "internal lock required" states amounts to a hefty percentage, then ruger can't afford not t0 comply.
Thought only the feds could regulate interstate commerence.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You're probably right. I'm glad I got all my Ruger's and S&W's pre-lock!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts