Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a lefty and my preferred configurations are the lever action and the falling block. I recently bought a Winchester 1885 (made by Miroku in Japan), and I never had any thought that it would be so accurate~! I haven't taken any time yet to try different brands of ammunition and just grabbed some Norma 40gr round nose because it was right there in front of me. I was only shooting from 35 yards to sight it in. It has a Leupold 3x9 on it. After adjusting the scope to my satisfaction which took 7 shots, I got serious. I got my breathing right and rested the rifle on sand bags and, Holy Cow, the next 4 shots went into the same hole. I"m not talking keyhole or cloverleaf, I mean "same hole"~!! Did I get lucky or what~! I now understand why the falling block was used in serious competition back in the day.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,127 Posts
I shoot right handed and enjoy shooting all action types. Bolt actions and semi autos are what's mostly in my safe. It's always fun when your gun puts bullets in small groups. Yours seems to like that Norma ammo. That's a classic tight clover-leaf on the target. My Charger printed a similar group at 25yds with Gecko loads that made my day.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Great group! Pictures of the rifle please.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,147 Posts
dwcars, If you like semiautos, one of the very best 22 LR semiautos on the market is a Browning SA-22. It is an exceptionally accurate rifle that ejects out the bottom of the receiver. It it tube fed from the butt (10 shot). This configuration is great for right or left handed shooters. The gun is a "take down", making it easier to transport. If you use a scope, it mounts to the barrel, not the receiver like a 10/22 TD.

I have an older SA-22 that was made in Belgium. The newer ones are made in Japan by Miroku but are just as good, quality wise. Accuracy from my SA-22 will put a 10/22 to shame. The SA-22s have been in production since 1914 so they are a tried and true design by John Browning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts