Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has nothing to do with anything, but hurricane season is upon the east coast. I am well inland and north, but still every time our power goes out I feel like I should have prepared my family (which is me, my wife and our pets) better for unexpected adversity.

I was looking around for one of those radios that allow you to get the weather alerts, many of them have flashlights built in. They run on batteries, but have a crank you can use if the batteries run out, you can even charge you cell phone using the crank.

Seemed like a good thing to have in the house, for weather emergencies or any other emergency.

Anyway, I came across this site that has a lot of helpful stuff:
http://www.hurricanestore.com/index.html

Also, FEMA has a great guide for preparedness on their site:
http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/

And of course, this is now a critical part of my emergency preparedness kit!

Ed.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Be a good boy scout and always be prepared. I also have a bug out kit with firearm, ammo, basic tools, matches, flashlight, batteries and food packs. I need to refresh the water and batteries this year, and throw in some canned meats and snacks. The radio broke so that needs replacement as well. I had one of those no battery flashlights where you just crank the handle and the LED lights for for so many minutes but that wore you out and was junk. Gave it to the kids to play with.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read somewhere recently that when putting together these kits, a lot of people don't prepare completely for pets, either forgetting about canned food for them or possibly not factoring in their water consumption. So remember your pets!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My dog'd be the last one to go...we all feed him off our plates and then he eats his own...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
In our house a dog is a member of the family and gets taken care of just like everyone else. We are going to be getting things together early this year as we will be moving in June or July. The big Blows don't start down here till about October most of the time.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good advice. I am having trouble staying prepared. Anytime we get low on ammo, batteries, bottled water, etc, my emergency kit gets raided for suppplies. I am afraid if we ever get the big earthquake or volcanoe eruption, my emergency kit will be empty.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Things get even trickier when you throw horses into the equation. The dog can keep up with the horses but I'm afraid that the cats are on their own. Like many of you here, I have more toys and gear than I probably need, - strike that - DEFINITELY more than I need, so I wonder what would really happen if the SHTF in a major way. Guess I'm going to have to get a wagon and some mules...

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I would need 20 mules or better lol. I always keep a case of bttle water and as I start on the last case I get another to replace it. I have around 20 bottle odf Irish whisky as you never when you will need it.
Most of us her have been in the service or we have been on extended hunts ie back packing in to the woods. So the things we have learned over the years we can make it.
One of the bigest things we have to concern our sleves with is then one that are not ready and will do anything to take what you have.
alist of thing that I think will be useful.
1 357 mag pistol or carbine- reason most of your attacker will have amo for that.
2. 12 ga. shot gun one of the most common shot guns there are and also your attacker will have ammo for that.
3. 223 rifle, for sure your attckers will have that ammo.
4. 9 mm pistol, your attackers will have ammo for that.
These are the most common items that your attackers will bring to your door step so to speak.
Bottom lime your attackers are you next re-supply point. About the only thing they are going to bring you is tha ammo, if they had food and clothes and shelter then they wouldn't be at your camp.
I was trained that your enemy is your next re-supply point, once you have elmanted him or her then take you can from them to asst. you.
Went thing turn bad then you have to become mean, in order to win and amke it you have to be meaner than they ever thought about.
As long as thing don't turn that way I am a like able guy.
Yes I agree remember your pets, take a dog, doesn't matter what size dog either. A small dog can hear and smell better than we are ever going too. So if you want to get a good nights sleep that little dog sleeping on your chest will make the best alarm system you ever had. They will be worth their weight in gold more times than once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts