Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well I know where to go if I have any questions about the storage of a metric ton of toilet paper.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I joined the forum. I haven't posted or read much so don't know if I will like it or not.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Dropped in to have a sniff ... looks like quite a few of the threads in some of the forums are pretty old ... perhaps everyone there is getting ready for doomsday.

All new season of Preppers starts tomorrow night (13th). Another season of people's lives controlled by their irrational fears. Can't wait!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
All new season of Preppers starts tomorrow night (13th). Another season of people's lives controlled by their irrational fears. Can't wait!
A show about it. :rolleyes:
Too funny. :D
And so true Larry (bold print). ;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I checked out this forum recently. Not many posts and I didn't like the layout of it.

It appears those commenting so far do not take any of this stuff seriously. I think we should all prep to some extent but in a realistic, sensible manner, not like the whack jobs on the show. I guess that's why I got a gun for SD/HD and joined this forum.

Recreational shooting is not my only Raison d'être.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
A while back, I noticed a "prepper" group was having monthly meetings. I decided to attend and check them out.

I have never seen such a clueless group of people in my life. Essentially all of them are "city folk" although this is not really a "metro area". I'm pretty sure most of them have never been off the paved roads in their lives. and most live in tightly-packed 'burbs or condos. They are terrified that "when it happens, 'they' will run rampant, pillaging and raping".

When the guy dressed all in camo explained how he has his generator stashed on the balcony of his third-floor condo and stores gasoline in two-gallon cans in his spare bedroom, I quietly got up and left. The "leader" of this group, an overweight lady who thinks she's "prepared" because she carries a 2" pocketknife, a water bottle, and two energy bars asked why I was leaving . . . I just said I had a prior engagement.

I fear that many "preppers" are so misguided that they are beyond help . . . like the guy who's going to escape to the wilderness (?) and live off the land. I asked him what he planned to do about his wife, two kids, and aged mother-in-law . . . blank stare.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but geeze . . .

:rolleyes:

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About a year ago a man that lived in a rural area here killed his wife and ran off into the woods to his secret bunker. They caught him within a few hours. Guess you can't keep a secret from a dog.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A while back, I noticed a "prepper" group was having monthly meetings. I decided to attend and check them out.

I have never seen such a clueless group of people in my life. Essentially all of them are "city folk" although this is not really a "metro area". I'm pretty sure most of them have never been off the paved roads in their lives. and most live in tightly-packed 'burbs or condos. They are terrified that "when it happens, 'they' will run rampant, pillaging and raping".

When the guy dressed all in camo explained how he has his generator stashed on the balcony of his third-floor condo and stores gasoline in two-gallon cans in his spare bedroom, I quietly got up and left. The "leader" of this group, an overweight lady who thinks she's "prepared" because she carries a 2" pocketknife, a water bottle, and two energy bars asked why I was leaving . . . I just said I had a prior engagement.

I fear that many "preppers" are so misguided that they are beyond help . . . like the guy who's going to escape to the wilderness (?) and live off the land. I asked him what he planned to do about his wife, two kids, and aged mother-in-law . . . blank stare.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but geeze . . .

:rolleyes:
OK, so who are all the real experts on prepping? Or is it all a big joke? Seems I can learn a few things from them in case I have to hunker down for a few weeks or so. I'm just talking about surviving through a disaster, or mass rioting on a temporary basis, not the zombie apocalypse.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so who are all the real experts on prepping? Or is it all a big joke? Seems I can learn a few things from them in case I have to hunker down for a few weeks or so. I'm just talking about surviving through a disaster, or mass rioting on a temporary basis, not the zombie apocalypse.
I don't think it takes an expert. It takes food, water, shelter and a few other things. Knowinh how to purify water with an old water bottle and knowing which old water bottles to use is important. In reading the threads in the prepper forum I find they just argue over who is right and who is wrong. Doesn't matter what the subject is.

And I didn't really read anything that was usefull. But I've only been reading it for a day.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't think it takes an expert. It takes food, water, shelter and a few other things. Knowinh how to purify water with an old water bottle and knowing which old water bottles to use is important.
Don't forget guns... lots of guns! :D Seriously, I just want to learn a few of the legitimate survival basics, and discard all the other nonsense.

In reading the threads in the prepper forum I find they just argue over who is right and who is wrong. Doesn't matter what the subject is.

And I didn't really read anything that was useful.
Pretty much like most other forums. :mad:

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't forget guns... lots of guns! :D Seriously, I just want to learn a few of the legitimate survival basics, and discard all the other nonsense.

Pretty much like most other forums. :mad:
Yep. I did read some good reports on batteries though. But also about the prepper that was stranded. The same story was going round here too. I think they got into the same arguement too. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,417 Posts
ALe-8:

A guy was at the meeting in camo definitely a dead giveway. What do they do for survival training try to find the right subway stop to get to a Starbucks.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ALe-8:

A guy was at the meeting in camo definitely a dead giveway. What do they do for survival training try to find the right subway stop to get to a Starbucks.
Knowing how to make cowboy coffee would be useful for someone that has never made it. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts