Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
How many accidents are contributed by weed use?
Perhaps this is difficult to estimate.
You should quote the complete statement. My point isn't for one over the other. If one whines about one they should whine about both.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Quite a bit.

Picking on Colorado since they were one of the earliest states to pseudo legalized pot (federal law argument) so have some solid data to look at.
You did say "solid data..........
"Even with those 49 fatal crashes, it doesn't come close to the number caused by alcohol. Fatal alcohol crashes make up a third of fatal crashes in the state."

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
You did say "solid data..........
"Even with those 49 fatal crashes, it doesn't come close to the number caused by alcohol. Fatal alcohol crashes make up a third of fatal crashes in the state."
Not saying it isn’t. The question was how many accidents are due to weed. It is a good to make the comparison to alcohol, because yes, a third of fatal crashes are from alcohol. But one cannot ignore the facts that marijuana does increase the risk of a fatal accident. Now, in order to make it a fair comparison, one would need to know the number of impaired drivers of both substances in order to get a percentage of usage and impairment leading to a fatal car accident. I don’t believe that data is available with any degree of accuracy. While yes, alcohol contributes to more traffic deaths per year, I also would bet that there are more impaired drivers out on the roads than those under the influence of pot. So, I guess the moral of the story is that impairment is impairment and both increase your chances of a traffic accident resulting in death. One cannot discount the increased risk of death associated with marijuana impairment just because it is less than alcohol.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
One is less, so by definition ergo, discounted.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Ok, so if I followed the debate correctly, there were 49 deaths attributed to impaired (pot smoking) driving ... I wonder what the death toll is from "distracted" driving ... my guess more than 49 ... thoughts?

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Ok, so if I followed the debate correctly, there were 49 deaths attributed to impaired (pot smoking) driving ... I wonder what the death toll is from "distracted" driving ... my guess more than 49 ... thoughts?
I had the same thought but was to lazy to post. But since you went there, at least 50 or 51…….texting and driving can be deadlier than being alcohol or pot impaired. Is it 4:20 yet?? :p

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
Distracted driving is another false flag in the arguement. Yes, distracted driving kills people. That does not make the deaths by impaired drivers due to marijuana use any less relevant. But in case you are curious, in Colorado, the number is 39, 10 less than marijuana.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a driver smoking a doobie, I'd have to borrow more than a few hands to count the number of times I've seen drivers messing on their hand held device. All I can say is you do you, I've seen and read about the horrors of alcohol and distracted driving ... partaking in a doobie not so much ... now the disclaimer, I don't partake in the latter, just trying to get your blinders off ...

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a driver smoking a doobie, I'd have to borrow more than a few hands to count the number of times I've seen drivers messing on their hand held device.
There’s no “hands free driving law” here in the state but some municipalities have taken matters into their own hands……on the first offense you’re gonna get taxed $500….you can double it for the second offense. So yes, it is a problem here.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Distracted driving is another false flag in the arguement. Yes, distracted driving kills people. That does not make the deaths by impaired drivers due to marijuana use any less relevant. But in case you are curious, in Colorado, the number is 39, 10 less than marijuana.

I think you've misunderstood what was said. Or maybe deflected. Any deaths is important. But if per user pot causes fewer deaths then it is less deadly.
I have no link as I was told by a Missouri Hiway Patrolman that distracted driving has surpassed drunk driving in the cause of crashes.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I have no link as I was told by a Missouri Hiway Patrolman that distracted driving has surpassed drunk driving in the cause of crashes.
Funny, they say the same thing on the east side of our state Kenny….. Maybe they’re fibbing……I doubt it.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Any impairment is bad while out on the road...

• driving stoned
  • driving drunk
  • driving while taking prescription drugs
  • driving tired
  • driving while texting

I do not think it changes the nature of the debate.
Corndog, you my friend are spot on. People trying to "villainize" one over the other JUST because of it's status on the federal level is absurd to say the least ...

·
Registered
220 Posts
My point isn't for one over the other. If one whines about one they should whine about both.
They're not equal. Weed is for getting high. Alcohol has always been part of civilization, and for millions of people it's not about getting stoned.

We understand that you're not saying the evils of alcohol justify additional evils.

It's about banning something that's always been part of civilization, because some mis-use it. Like banning self-defense, because criminals mis-use the tools of self-defense.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
They're not equal. Weed is for getting high. Alcohol has always been part of civilization, and for millions of people it's not about getting stoned.

We understand that you're not saying the evils of alcohol justify additional evils.

It's about banning something that's always been part of civilization, because some mis-use it. Like banning self-defense, because criminals mis-use the tools of self-defense.
Wait What? Are you saying mary jane has not always been part of civilization? I think our native fathers might say otherwise ...
As far as your statement about people using alchohol not to get stoned is so far from reality ... but maybe I misunderstood your statement ...

·
Registered
4,458 Posts

Having been raised by a good cop and serving in the Navy and at near 68 years old, There are holes in your statement. Alcohol is the worse drug man has created. And I love a good cold beer in the summer time.
Not all drink to oblivion nor do mj smokers.
Yours as well as others finishes up in deflection.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Wait What? Are you saying mary jane has not always been part of civilization? I think our native fathers might say otherwise ...
Well duh…….what do y’all think they were smokin in those “piece pipe”, some R. J. Reynolds tobacco?? :p

41 - 60 of 89 Posts