Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I have a pistol left to me that I am trying to find a price for, and any help is appreciated.

It is in the original box, which is in pristine condition, contains original users manual, etc.

It is a Ruger .22 Single Six, from 1967. Fired very little, if at all. Mostly it's been sitting in the box for 40+ years. (My dad purchased it, and he passed in a traffic accident in 1968.)

Any help, from a direct price to a place to look (I know there are books out with prices, I just haven't made it to the store in the last couple days.)

Aodhan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uhm...yeah. :-/

It's in transit, my parents are bringing it from Colorado. I'll have all that info next Tues/Wed timeframe, plus pics.

I believe wood grips, around a 7" barrel, but it's been a while since I looked at it.

Aodhan

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Suggest you do a through inspection, & cleaning, then wite down any marks, dings, scratches and then take clear pictures both sides. Take pics of the box, especially the end label. Include the serial number, you can 'XX' out the last couple digits if you prefer. Looks like a neat gun, cherish it as something left to you from your Dad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, 2 different pistols.

#1 - Ruger Hawkeye, single shot pistol. .256, walnut grips, 8.5" barrel (measured from tip of barrel to where it meets the chamber), original box and wax paper, one corner of box slightly damaged, owners manual dated 1/3/63, serial number indicates sometime in 1963. Looks to be unfired since it was purchased. Mom thinks probably 25 rounds max were fired from it.

#2 - Single Six, W.M.R .22 caliber, 6.5" Bbl, walnut grips. Original box, packing paper, original instructions dated 3-1-67 and original (unused) NRA and warranty cards. Unsure how many rounds fired, but no obvious signs of wear. Box in good condition, again slight damage to one corner.

Aodhan

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Both are collectable guns, the Hawkeye is quite desirable. There are folks that would give you a nice sum for the Hawkeye in the condition you describe. Not many of them made.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Aodhan, you have two winners there. Both collectable, the Hawkeye can be quite valuable. Since I am not a collector, I will not attempt to place a value on them. Hope you keep them for sentimental reasons, if not, make sure you get a good appraisal before accepting an offer. Most collectors here and at the other ruger site are honest but expect you to place an asking price on your items. Member Hawkeye 28 (for obvious reasons) would be able to help. You may want to send him an e-mail and pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, thats kind of it. I never knew my father. I was 1 1/2 when he passed, and my mom remarried. Dad adopted me, and I was probably 8 before I "knew" that he wasn't my real dad. So, I'm kind of torn between keeping them, and selling them to help buy a house. Dunno. But, if I don't get a VERY good offer, I'm not selling.

I do have the flag from his burial, and all of his medals (11 air, silver star, bronze star, etc), and a lot of other stuff on display in the apartment. I have his sword and watch from the Air Force Academy, and I've met one of his friends from his Vietnam tours (Frederick Gregory, 1st black Shuttle commander), so it's not like I don't have mementos.

But yeah, it's still a difficult decision. [?]

Aodhan

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would not sell them for any reason or any price. they are not worth enough to help buy a house and besides once the are gone you will never get them back.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If they were mine, I would keep the .22 to pass down to my son, and sell the Hawkeye to help get into the house...it should, by far, fetch the highest price, the .22 most likely to be shot a lot...and I'd have the heirloom---your Father must have been quite the man, with the history you've shared...you should be really proud and pass that info down...we need more guys like he was today....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a lot of military heritage. My grandfather won a Silver Star as a tank Lieutenant in WWII, my father was an Air Force academy graduate and helicopter/evac pilot in Vietnam (3 tours and a ton of decorations), and I pulled 4 years active 3 years reserve in the Air Force as an ER/ATH medic. (If the Navy had approved my eyesight waiver, I'd still be in as a Pararescue. Damned Navy. :( )

Sheep, that's what I've been thinking too. Keep the .22, possibly sell the Hawkeye. I also have a .22 Colt police issue revolver from approx 1900's that was my great grandfather's that I'm keeping.

Aodhan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts