Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When decapping .45 ACP cases, every so often the primer "wall" is left behind in the pocket, obviously not allowing the new primer to be seated. This is once-fired new ammo (Federal). Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any tips or tricks on cleaning out the pocket or should I just keep a wastebasket handy? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
278 Posts
I haven't seen that. Were those large or small primers?
Main problem I've encountered was those pesky small primer pocket .45's. What a PIA those are! I can usually keep them segregated (and batch load'em for plinking on the farm), but every now and then one sneaks back into the LP bucket!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Where do the once fired cases come from , indoor / outdoor range ?

Do you use water in your case cleaning operation ?

Are the once-fired cases ever exposed to moisture ?
Gary

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Where do the once fired cases come from , indoor / outdoor range ?
Do you use water in your case cleaning operation ?
Are the once-fired cases ever exposed to moisture ?
Gary
I haven't seen that. Were those large or small primers?
Main problem I've encountered was those pesky small primer pocket .45's. What a PIA those are! I can usually keep them segregated (and batch load'em for plinking on the farm), but every now and then one sneaks back into the LP bucket!

WYT-P
Skyhunter
Large pistol primers. The cases are from brand-new-in-the-box Federal. That's where the once-fired comes from. And I clean them using crushed corn cob in a vibrating tumbler, so no water is ever used. So, do I just throw them away?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I ordered 500 "once-fired" Federal 38 Spcl. cases from Brassman. With three or four of the cases the primers came apart in decapping. I made an attempt to remove the sidewalls, with no success. Given the large over-run (about 10%) I just threw the cases away.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Large pistol primers. The cases are from brand-new-in-the-box Federal. That's where the once-fired comes from. And I clean them using crushed corn cob in a vibrating tumbler, so no water is ever used. So, do I just throw them away?

I have picked up fired brass from our outdoor range , left lying on the concret / ground , it seems, my theory anyway , is the priming residue reacts with moisture and causes just enough corrosion so that when de-primed the bottom is pushed out but the primer wall ring stays stuck in the pocket .
Not the cause in your case , PBP (pardon the bad pun) .
I hate loosing cases so I try to pry the leftover primer wall out ... best method so far is to force an ice pick between primer wall and brass and push wall inward and then upward and then pull it out . Needle nose pliers will finish what the ice pick starts . Be very careful ...ice pick to hand is hurtfull .
Some reasearch shows that Federal does use small pistol primers , these are used in "Lead Free" primers , I could not determine if these were crimped in place ... I do know some makers do crimp the small lead free primers in place so watch for crimps .

I have no idea what causes this... make sure they aren't crimped . The small primer ones (for some reason are sometimes crimped in place as are military ,
Could be a incorrectly formed batch of primer cups , too thin around the bottom edge.
Gary

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've never heard of that until now. Wonder if it has something to do with these new environmentally correct primers.

I've always deprimed before using any sonic or liquid rotary tumbler cleaning, so can't speak to problem with primers due to that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had that happen recently with a case from a lot which I wanted to keep complete. Might have been .45 ACP. I went through my 0-80, a-z, 1/16-1/2" drill index until I found a bit which was just a little smaller than the primer cavity. I held the case in soft jaws in my bench vice and used the drill bit at slow speed in a cordless drill. About 2/3 into the primer it spun out on the bit.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
i haven’t run into that problem before. It makes you wonder if it has something to do with how the cases were cleaned by Federal. I also decap before cleaning. I have a few hundred Federal cases and never had that happen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been handloading for forty years and never had that happen with a pistol or rifle case. I've left the fired primer in for more than a year at times. I'm baffled maybe some kind of corrosion issue from the primer. I'll tell ya one thing though I clean the primer pockets always with the wire brush. I always uniform the primer pocket also both pistol and rifle. That step is worth it to me. The primers fit in much nicer for good ignition/.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,018 Posts
I have never seen that in nearly forty years reloading. Are you sure that those aren't just the cases made w/ small primer pockets? I reload .45acp cases with both sizes, I just separate them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Q: how does one remove a live primer?

Just shoot it, or ??

·
Registered
2,433 Posts

Just shoot it, or ??
Very Carefully !

Use your press and decapping die ... and press it out with the speed of Molassas Moving in Winter Time ... S-L-O-W-L-Y .
Don't put any part of body over die , face or fingers , wear eye and ear protection ...unless your given birth certificate name is Bubba ... !(only joking)
Gary

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
The same way you’d remove a spent one. The chances of it detonating are slim, it takes a fair amount of force to set one off, (think about the spring in a bolt gun). Plus the primer is free to move as you push it out, the same can’t be said when you fire a loaded cartridge........the primer can’t move.

As stated, go slow, wear eye protection and wrap a towel around the press. The towel will pretty much eliminate the risk of injury should one pop off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts