Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused and need help. I purchased 1000 .223 brass from Brassman which was suppose to be decrimped, reamed, sized, and cleaned. CCI small rifle primers go into the brass at a crooked angle with my RCBS hand primer tool. The result is the the primer does not go in flat.

I purchased 500 .223 brass from Top Brass and the same primers go in effortlessly with the same tool.

I examined and compared both brass and can not tell the difference between the two. I do not want to discard the Brassman brass but it is going through to many valuable primers.

Can anyone guess what is wrong with the brass?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Crimped primer pockets need to be swaged or reamed?

Need a primer pocket uniformer?

If you can get a close up pic it might help.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
They probably forgot to ream the primer pockets. Give them a call, they may swap with you.

Good luck!

·
Banned
402 Posts
Need a primer pocket uniformer?
No! you do not need a pocket uniformer, That tool gives you a uniform depth of the primer pocket, and does not remove a crimp, It's a nice tool to have ( not cheep )
but the wrong tool for the job.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Check your primer pockets. If the edge of the primer pocket is sharp, that can cause issues. To remove the sharpness, you can use a chamfer tool, or swage the primer pocket similar to removing a crimp. The swage dies are not that expensive, and almost a must if you reload .223/5.56

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,496 Posts
Saumur, I like CCI small rifle primers but I've run into the same situation as you did with some brands of cases. First, CCI primers have very hard cups that don't like to get pushed into a little hole. They also have a "skirt" that tends to snag on the rim of the primer pocket, which is why you are having problems. Chances are Winchester primers will seat just fine without conditioning the primer pockets.

The best thing you can do when using CCI primers is to use a primer pocket swager. RCBS makes a nice kit that won't break the bank and works on any single stage press. The swager will reshape the pockets where the edges don't snag. As mentioned above, even a chamfer tool for case mouths will help a lot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mystery Solved

I consulted my local reloading wholesaler and showed him the brass. He used his test tool and it met all reaming etc criteria. He also looked at the Top brass that worked vs. brassman brass that did not. The top brass was a perfect 3/16 of an inch primer opening and the brassman was very slightly smaller. We used a 3/16 inch drill bite and opened the openning wider and the primer sitted nicely. Mystery solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts