Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to remove the used primers before cleaning the brass? I see that it can be done either way, but don't know which is best.

Sorry for so many topics, but I feel it will keep things in order for me and the other newbies to reloading who may be interested in the answers.

Thanks for all your time gentlemen. It is greatly appreciated by me and others I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Are you refering to tumbling them? If so, remove the primers afterwards since the tumbling media will get stuck in the primer pockets and have to be picked out in a separate process.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I clean then deprime, found this is easier for me because I don't have to clean the media from the primer pocket.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've done either way. The brass gets just as clean. I use walnut media and find it a hassle with large primer type cases to get the media out of the flash hole, not just the primer pocket. It requires a pick, or running back through the depriming die. So usually I clean then deprime. I would hazard a guess that if a case was missed and media left in the flash hole, there may be problems igniting that cartridge. Then again it might not matter- --
I do clean each and every primer pocket out before reloading with an RCBS primer pocket brush.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yep the primed bush only takes a few seconds to do it I just have can for the cleaned ones and a big bowl for the ones I am cleaning. I do it while watching the tube.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
by the way ya can't learn if ya don't ask. Never worry about asking questions ok pal. Were glad to be of help to ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.