Ruger Forum banner

Primetime Viewing: The Good and Bad

473 views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  Neon Horse 
#1 ·
Terrible shows. Great shows. Just all-right shows.

Name them.

I am hopeful every season that some decent, funny shows appear. It seems we are usually offered terrible shows or the shows that were decent take a dive (I used to watch Two And A Half Men with Sheen, but now I find it difficult to watch).

I have always enjoyed shows like Seinfeld, Friends, The Big Bang Theory (homage to the admirable NCLEO) and the alike. I have been enjoying The Goldbergs as well... and this one is new!

Then it seems like we are bombarded with shows and sitcoms that just bomb the scene. What was that Michael J. Fox show? Or Friends With Better Lives- what is this?!

These are my opinions. I speak mostly to sitcoms, but it can be any show on primetime from any decade. I would love to hear from generations before me what shows were great and terrible in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.

You can dislike or like- just respect others' preference in viewing entertainment! :)

So, what are your thoughts? Shows you like or dislike? Now or then? Why?

See less See more
#3 ·
I find most of the things on TV these days really hard to watch. As for my list of shows I love to watch, I am a Sci-Fi and comicbook fan.

Walking Dead, Arrow, The 100, Big Bang Theory, Helix, Continuum. Other shows I like when the seasons are up Longmire and Hell on wheels. For my "reality" or informative viewing I like Shooting Gallery, Gun Talk, Cam and Co., Gun Stories, American Airgunner, Guns and Gear, Guns and Ammo, Tactical arms, Combat School, Hot Shots, Best Defense, Shooting USA, Choose your weapon, Impossible shots, American Rifleman TV, and Gun Gurus.

#4 ·
Aha! See, now we're talking! Right now I only have over-the-air digital channels. I get quite a few, but I dont have cable/satellite. When I get to, I love watching those shows. My particular favorites are Sonsof Anarchy, Hell on Wheels, and Justified. Speaking of comics, I. had great hopes for Agents of Shield, but I have kinda lost interest... I love superhero/comic movies.

#5 ·
Justified and Person of Interest are my current favorites. Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are funny.

I have a couple channels that show 70s/80s sitcoms 24/7. There were so many, where would I begin... Adam 12, Emergency!, MASH, Taxi, Hogans Heroes, The Odd Couple, Star Trek, Batman, Wonder Woman (oh ya).

#6 ·
Gunsmoke and Andy Griffith are my all time favorites. Now days I like Justified, Hell On Wheels, Longmire, Blue Bloods, Vikings, Duck Dynasty and Mike and Molly.

#7 ·
The Mentalist
The Following
I just Love the intensity and intrgue

#9 ·
Not a big fan of what's on tv nowadays as you can see from my list below.
If I want to watch something, I mostly search shows from Netflix or borrow a movie from Redbox.
Current favorites include:

Mondays - 24: Live Another Day (Jack is back!)
Tuesdays - NCIS (the one with Gibbs, not the LA spinoff)
Wednesdays - no tv favorites
Thursdays - no tv
Fridays - no tv
Saturdays - no tv
Sundays - Turn (or The Walking Dead when it returns), Revenge

*Longmire will be back soon!

#10 ·
I like Revolution. I don't have cable. Otherwise, I watch a lot of YouTube. Hickok45, Iraqveteran8888 and anything even remotely firearm/conspiracy theory related. Off of Netflix, we watch Gold Rush and a few others. Loved Walking Dead when we had cable! Wife loves any singing reality show. That's usually when I "find" things to do around the house. Which really means this forum, lol.

#32 ·
I like Revolution. .
i watch a lot of nat'l geographic channel and history channel, but just to see what's on-- not according to any planned schedule.

as far as the old networks, i watch revolution and am totally addicted, but i usually watch it streaming online over the weekend, as it runs past my bedtime during the week. oh, and when the new seasons air on pbs, i bashfully admit i've gotten hooked on downton abbey (took one of those facebooks quizzes and came up as lord grantham). i like the idea of owning a few hundred thousand acres, and having a nice roomful of holland&hollands. :)

#11 ·
I forgot to mention that on Sundays, I also watch the Simpsons, the only animated show that I follow.

Neon Horse - last Sunday's 550th episode (the Lego episode) is must-see tv for a daddy like you. Maybe, you can find it online. I wish I saw it 10 or 15 years ago and learned from it :(

#12 ·
Great input all!

I do like MeTV (reruns that are usually great!). I also love YouTube for sone great firearm entertainment.

alayonruger- I will definitely check it out. I usually watch Simpson's, but with all the excitement lately I missed it! Darn crying boys ;) I didn't know it was a Lego episode! Cool!

#13 · (Edited)
The Mentalist

River Monsters

CSI

The Good Wife

Criminal Minds (with some reservations)

Arrow (but I think I'm going to quit; I don't like the action sequences being just a jerking around of the camera instead of realistic fights)

The Maine game warden show on Animal Planet. North Woods Law?

I see re-runs of CSI Miami on weekends and marvel that such a poorly produced and acted show survived as long as it did. It also had a pretty sorry cast. I didn't like ANY of them!

December brings the Victoria's Secret fashion show, due from London this year. I wish they had it on more often, in lieu of "reality" shows.

The original NCIS. The cast of the LA version is wholly unacceptable.

#17 ·
+1
PBS! :)
I LOVE DOC MARTIN, one of two shows that I can watch over and over and over on Netflix, the other being Psych | USA Network.

#16 ·
I ditched cable TV a couple of years ago, so I watch a little network TV but mostly stream Netflix and Hulu Plus. I recently finished the first two seasons of 'House of Cards' and can't wait for season three.

I tried 'Breaking Bad' but after about a half dozen episodes, I decided it was too much of a 'downer' with all the cancer stuff (lost my dad to cancer a few years ago). I may have to give 'Justified' a try.

For a laugh, 'Seinfeld' is always a fallback for me, despite seeing all of the episodes many times.

#22 ·
Fav's - NCIS (original), Duck Dynasty, Person of Interest, Big Bang Theory and of ourse I like the reruns of The Waltons, Gunsmoke, Bonanza.

Dislike - Two and Half Men (new one), Two Broke Girls, Modern Family.

I read a lot rather then watch much TV.

#23 ·
Two current series... NCIS (The Original not the L A Spinoff)
and BLUE BLOODS the Tom Selleck Cop Family Saga.

I will watch some of the NatGeo/Animal Planet Stuff but avoid the fake reality 'Deadiest Catch' type of series.

Not into blood and gore zombie crap or the ultra violent adventure/action flicks. I enjoy the John Wayne and Eastwood marathon days, same with Star Trek and TNG reruns. will watch some NFL nite football, and enjoy some of the outdoor and gun channels instructional shooting programs get tired of them shooting hogs and leavig them in the bushes on many shows.

News? Usually NBC local (Louisville) and National, sometimes a shot of John Stewart to remind me of why I dislike NY/NJ Liberals.

#25 ·
I left TV behind a long time ago, or maybe it left me. Either way, it mostly offends my sensitivities and waste time. I like my entertainment in 5 minute chuncks, (maybe I'm ADD), YouTube is perfect. I usually watch "American Pickers", "Survivorman" or something like that while I'm having dinner. But I can only make it to the first commercial - then I'm gone. Am I missing anything?

#29 ·
Now that we're on PBS, I love watching travel and cooking shows.
I love to drive but I don't cook though.

#36 ·
I don't love to drive or cook.
I do love to eat however!!! :D

#30 ·
The Blacklist
NCIS
Person of Interest
Criminal Minds
CSI
Blue Bloods
The Good Wife
Homeland
Ray Donovan
Boardwalk Empire
Strike Back

#35 ·
I feel sorry for those members that don't get cable/satellite, because, to me, the most entertaining shows come from FX, and AMC. Fox has a couple that I watch, too. The fare put out by ABC-NBC_CBS are wastes of time.
I'll put up "Breaking Bad" or "Walking Dead" up against any offering the "B" networks broadcast. Same with "Justified" and my all-time favorite, "Rescue Me".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.