Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Lee priming tool (small primer) finally crapped out. I had the round tray one for years. The new one did not last as long. I checked a couple old posts regarding primer tool recommendations. It seemed the RCBS was popular and well build. I recall you had to use shell holders. I was trying to figure out how the tool would work if all my shell holders are not the same brand? Anyway, I’m interested in, and need to buy a new tool. I can get by with the old round tray for now. I don’t think I’ll buy another Lee unless they changed the design, The large primer component has a stronger plastic “gate”. The small primer one broke.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I have the RCBS tool and have not had any problems. They make two versions, one that requires a shellholder and one that has a universal shell plate. I have the version that takes shellholders and have had great luck with it. However, I have only used RCBS shellholders. 95% of my die sets are Redding, and I use Redding shellholders with the die sets. So, whenever I get a new die set I spend the extra 5 or 6 bucks and get an RCBS shellholder also. I know, not very efficient but it works for me. I have never used the one with the universal plate but I have one to a friend as a gift once and he loved it, so I guess that is a great endorsement if you know him.

Shellholder version

Universal shell plate version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Take a look at the RCBS Universal priming tool ........no shell holders needed and it will prime .20 caliber. It’s a couple of bucks more but well worth it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I really like the Frankford Arsenal priming tool.
It's a very robust tool that fits my big ol' meat hooks.
You can adjust the seating depth by thousandths.
Comes with shell holders.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a lee but it kept breaking. Got an RCBS and its going strong. I already have the shell holders for everything I reload. Im thinking about getting a bench primer to save my thumbs.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I prime on the press. I used to use a lee bench primer. I broke the small primer inserter on the lee. They were nice and sent me a new one and a large one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Another vote for the RCBS universal tool. I've used Lee stuff for years, but could never get the Lee "folding triangle" tool to work satisfactory. No problems at all with the RCBS tool, and swapping for large to small primer takes no time at all.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you are not 'stuck' on the concept of a hand held priming tool I can wholeheartedly recommend the RCBS bench priming tool. Mine must be about 30 years old now, I use any brand of shell holder that I have, mine does not live attached to the bench - it is mounted as needed by way of "T"-nuts. If it disappeared today I would have a new one in hand (or at least on the way) tomorrow!

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the responses. I’ll check out all your suggestions. In the older posts it appeared the RCBS tool was highly recommended. I’m also interested in the bench primer option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the old round Lee & like it- used it for 20+? years! I did finally break the lever, but used some reinforced JB Weld on it & it is still going strong. Although there are surely some good hand priming tools out there, I'm getting too old for re- training!

·
Registered
166 Posts
New Lee has their rectangular primer holder. It folds in half on a hinge so it becomes a triagnle. For me putting more than even half a sleeve of primers is not as quick and clean as a totally flat square or round tray. Not as much leverage as my Lyman and Frankford Arsenal and the handle is skinnier making it tougher for me to squeeze. I like Lee dies and 4-hole turret press, but their primer feeds for both hand priming and on the press don't work as well for me as others I've used.

I have a Lyman which works well, though the little plastic 'funnel' around the top of the priming piston is a little flimsy, though still keeps working fine.

I, too, like the Frankford Arsenal. Just be careful of the adjustable depth: I had some 762x39 primers that eyeballed fine after seating, but had a bunch that failed to fire on first firing pin hit, but worked on 2nd. After I put the setting wheel to max depth, other primers from same lot have worked fine. I really like the leverage and 'fatness' of the FA handle.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have the old round Lee & like it- used it for 20+? years! I did finally break the lever, but used some reinforced JB Weld on it & it is still going strong. Although there are surely some good hand priming tools out there, I'm getting too old for re- training!

The one with their screw in shell holders and before primer feeds were 'a thing'? mine is over 40 years old and I still like it. Wish I had bought more/different shell holders for it before they went away. With the 'T' nuts installed in my bench it doesn't take two minutes to get my RCBS bench tool ready to go so that does most of my priming.

Bruce

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have switched from the RCBS Universal priming tool because squeezing the lever more than 50 time really cramped my hand.
I have been using the LEE Auto Bench Prime tool now for 2 years and find it is easy to use, takes less effort to seat a primer because you pushing down on a leaver.
It does take special shell holders but there cheap. I’m pleased with the performance of this tool and have no complaints.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
I use the RCBS bench mounted priming tool as well. I bought it used on e-bay for short money and it is all I use. I mounted it on the far end of the bench and do my priming there. It seats the primer with little effort and seats them completely. It is all I have ever used as I bought it and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Somewhere I have both Lee hand primers, a RCBS hand primer and still use a RCBS bench primer while watching TV. :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have two Lee Turret presses,a classic red base and the economy version. I use the Lee bench prime for priming 38special and 357magnum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts