Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just got a full size Ruger Security 9. Love the pistol. I've been carrying it in an Alien Gear 3.5 which is very comfortable. I don't notice printing while standing, but if I bend, the grip sticks out. Kinda noticable. With it being a bit bigger of a pistol, it won't be perfectly hidden. Is this an issue with people here? Anyone really overly concerned or is it an 'it is what it is' sorta issue? Just getting feedback from anyone that carry's a bigger pistol, thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just be aware of it and if there are any people you might think are sensitive, go a little out of your way to make sure it doesn't print or keep your arm/elbow up by the pistol to mask it a little.

Most places, I don't worry about anything, but when I am in some parks, I'll be more attentive to even a subcompact at the 3 o clock when I reach in the car for the bug spray, water, etc... only cause you can't really know how people will react and I don't want to invite unwanted attention.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I conceal carry a full size 9mm mostly OWB in a leather pancake type holster at around 330 position, "FBI" cant (15*). I am a bigger guy at 6 ft/240. A 2XL t-shirt does a good job of concealing. Body type can play a role.
Fact is, most people won't even notice you printing. Heck. Sometimes they never even noticed when I was open carrying.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I carry with the same holster a commander 1911. I carry at about the 3:30/4:00 position so that the grip goes along my back. That said, bend at the knees as much as possible cause you never know. Be natural but move in a way to minimize printing if you can. Cost of carrying full size. Experiment with drop and cant as they are adjustable on the holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I carry a Glock 19 appendix. My main concern with printing is when I'm on campus (university) where might as well be open which is not allowed. Other than that, if I print a little, no big deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I carry more at 3:15 or so. Maybe I'll try to move it back a bit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The problem with printing is that while most people probably won't notice it, the people who will notice it are the ones I don't want to, i.e. cops and criminals. If you carry behind your hip, don't kid yourself, you're printing every time you bend over. AIWB is good if you have the body type for it, but I don't. I carry strong side, just in front of my hip, and that works pretty well for me. However, I'm paranoid about printing, and the largest gun I carry is a Glock 26.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Being paranoid about printing is normal when you start out.
If you think about it, being self conscience with ANY new thing you try is pretty much run of the mill.

It's more common for that self consciousness to play out with "butt checks" where you put your hand on the pistol butt to nervously check to make sure nothing has shifted.
Now, that's a dead give away. One that will more likely get you busted than a simple lump or bump in your clothing.
You will really notice the "butt check" when guys are getting out of a car. Sometimes they will hike up their pistol and holster after checking it.

Only like within the last 5 years or so have I begun to accept the fact that I'm NOT the center of the universe and people do not look at me but through me.
Things would be different if I was some tight assed hardbelly in some yoga pants....but I ain't.
I would have to set myself on fire and have a pistol that shot lightening bolts to get someone's attention.....sad but true.

So, you may just be the center of the universe....in your own mind.
But trust me, the trick is to not let your own self conscientiousness of a new activity translate into the bad habit of butt checks.
Soon, with practice, carrying that pistol will become second nature.
You will gain confidence in your gear and methods.

Good luck.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,253 Posts
When I started carrying two years ago, I spent a lot of time in front of the mirror simulating every possible move I could be making once I step out of the house. It took months of getting used to but the more I carry, the more it made me confident that I hardly think about it. With less time worrying about conceal carry, I can focus more on what’s going on around me.
I’m a lefty who appendix carry at the 1:00 position. It helps that I have a flat stomach (I consciously keep it that way ;) )

·
Registered
356 Posts
Being paranoid about printing is normal when you start out.
If you think about it, being self conscience with ANY new thing you try is pretty much run of the mill.
I've been carrying for about 5 years myself, and I will remain paranoid. My problem is that I carry a lot in NPEs, and complacency is not an option. I also pay attention to others, and I've made a lot of folks who, I'm sure, had no idea anyone knew they were carrying. Fortunately (for them), I'm just an observer. Others might take a less benign interest.

A couple of years ago, my B-I-L was teaching a real estate class, and during a break, one of his students approached him and asked if he was carrying. That was quite a wake-up call for him. More people are paying attention than you might think.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I've been carrying for about 5 years myself, and I will remain paranoid. My problem is that I carry a lot in NPEs, and complacency is not an option. I also pay attention to others, and I've made a lot of folks who, I'm sure, had no idea anyone knew they were carrying. Fortunately (for them), I'm just an observer. Others might take a less benign interest.

A couple of years ago, my B-I-L was teaching a real estate class, and during a break, one of his students approached him and asked if he was carrying. That was quite a wake-up call for him. More people are paying attention than you might think.
NPE???

·
Exchequer
4,317 Posts
I carry with the same holster a commander 1911. I carry at about the 3:30/4:00 position so that the grip goes along my back. That said, bend at the knees as much as possible cause you never know. Be natural but move in a way to minimize printing if you can. Cost of carrying full size. Experiment with drop and cant as they are adjustable on the holster.

Oooohhhh ....that's a purty pistola.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Yes! That commander 1911 is a keeper! and a very nice setup in that photo! Post #4 = beauty!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The reality of "printing" is that many people "print" when they aren't carrying a gun. Cel phones will often make the same bump. Most people may see the bump and assume it is something benign. Most won't notice the bump at all. We see thousands of images every second our eyes are open. We only process about 20 at a time. Unless you are being obnoxiously obvious, chances are the only people who will know you are carrying are other people who are also carrying.

The way I dress for work precludes me using a traditional setup. I have taken to a Shield 2.0 in a retention holster in my right front pocket. To me, it prints like a son of a gun, because I know it is there. After 3 months of carrying this way, I tested 2 of my coworkers (who support concealed carry) and neither had any idea it was there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I usually carry my compact 45 in a holster similar to yours at 4 o’clock and any bending for me will make that grip print. I usually don’t care about printing unless I’m in a big city or an establishment that wouldn’t be keen on knowing I’m armed. Only solution I’ve found so far is to wear a sweat shirt/vest/ jacket or carry appendix. For me that means my appendix holster needs a wedge or claw to help push that grip in. I can’t stand to carry that way more than a few hours but it’s doable.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I'm not really paranoid about printing anymore. I've been carrying for years and sometimes I almost forget I have a gun on my hip. I've only been called out one time.

Several years ago I was in Walmart looking for a greeting card. After awhile I noticed a well-dressed, attractive younger woman staring at me. I glanced away and went on about my business. I selected a card and glanced over and saw that young woman eyeing me intensely. Now I'm an old guy and I haven't had much attention from pretty young gals for a long time so I knew something was up. She approached me and said smugly, "You think you're pretty stealthy, don't you?" I said, "I beg your pardon." She said, "You may think you're fooling people, but I can tell you're carrying a gun." I stood there looking at here for a few seconds. I was thinking, why this woman would be brazen enough to accost me and why does she care anyway. Suddenly it came to me. I said, "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. That's my colostomy bag. Would you like to see it?" She turned beat red, mumbled "I'm so sorry" and the last time I saw her, she was walking rapidly toward the exit. I think that was my best comeback line ever. :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts