Ruger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Pony Soldier
8,470 Posts
I tried a couple of ProMag 30 rd magazines for my S&W 5906 and Marlin Camp 9 carbine.
They both had problems to where I quit trying them and now they sit in a drawer.
I have had best luck with Factory S&W and Ruger mags, and Mecgar, I buy them from Greg Cote LLC.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Allenr: I have LC9 (not 's') that shoots fine with flat Ruger magazine base, but jams all the time with extended mag base: it rocks back and forth in the well enough to either not feed next round at all or jam. Is that what happened with your ProMags (I've not used them for LC9)? I've heard that Ruger has a fix for this, but I just keep flat mag base and it works fine and I shoot well enough without the extension.

I post this so it might help others at least work around similar problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cannot comment on ProMag handgun mags but as to AR platform mags... I purchased a couple of their 20 round polymer mags from CDNNSports. They LOOKED like MagPul magazines and for $4 - I needed to get my order up to a certain amount for free shipping as I recall. The mags arrived and LOOKED fine. On a future order I purchased 5 more. Now that I had 7 I decided to try them. I loaded 10 rounds, inserted it in the rifle, chambered a round, fired and then picked the mag off the ground and tried again. After each shot the mag would fall out of the rifle. Never an issue with ANY other mags. I called ProMag and they offered to replace them. I sent them back.

I received an email from ProMag - they were not currently making any polymer mags - if I did not mind waiting a little they would send me 7 of their new "Roller Mags." I waited, they send and I tested. The Roller Mag was supposed to hold 30 rounds. Short of using an arbor press I could not force more than 28 rounds into one. An interesting concept but rather useless. I called them again and arranged to swap the rollers for straight 20 round mags. These have been in manufacture for half a century. What can go wrong?

The mags were not rectangular - more trapezoidal. The weld seems were not straight, they did not fit and feed. They DID make acceptable targets which was their final destiny.

As to handgun mags - Ed Brown has some really nice ones for the 1911 platform. They run tradeup deals occasionally. My neighbor and I cleaned out our old 1911 mag inventories and got a bunch of EBs for a bargain price. Metalform and MecGar both make good mags - including many OEM mags.

Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but here's my experience with an SR1911 CMD in .45: Chip McCormack mags don't seem to be reliable. Ruger and any of the Kimber mags I have work reliably. Sorry, no have experience with Pro Mag's mags.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My experience with ProMag has been disappointing to say the least. Will not buy them again. I have had problems with other cheap mags as well. I finally realized that life is too short to buy cheap mags. Buy quality mags, you'll be much happier.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts