Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to put this thread. I have heard so many forum members say they are not going to send back a defective/recalled gun or they are going to fix the recalled gun themselves. Come to find out there are legal ramifications for not sending a recalled gun. A you man was charged with manslaughter when his defective XD-s accidentally went off, killing a childhood friend. The man knew the gun was defective but he didn't want to be without a gun while his XD-s was being serviced.

To completely absolve yourself from legal ramifications you have to send back a defective gun. Installing an aftermarket part or repairing the gun yourself does not prove you had the defect repaired. When you send the gun back to the manufacturer or authorized service center you create a paper trail that the gun was repaired. One of the responsibilities we have as firearm owners is absolving ourselves from legal recourse. You can claim you are perfect and such an accident would never happen to you. But no one is perfect.

Here is the article from the Truth About Guns.
Pro-Tip: Send Back Your Defective/Recalled Gun - The Truth About Guns

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
If proper safety procedures are followed then a lot of defective firearms aren't a problem. I agree if you have a recalled item you should get it repaired but a lot of the gun just went off excuses are the result of poor safety practice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts