Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a new maverick 88 field 28" barrel, i loaded it up and when i tried to unload i noticed the action lock lever wasn't down as much as it should have been and i almost didn't get the action open. it finally opened but the elevator wouldn't go all the way down unless i came back on the forearm with a good tug. i noticed the gun was extremely tight in pumping. i got in the house and started pumping it back and forth at least 30 or more times. it loosed up some and the action lever seems ok now if i use good force to unload and load as does the elevator. it still tho has a small glitch, when i bring the bolt all the way back and stop, then try to bring it forward it seems to catch and i have to really push it forward for it to go. if i just do it fast back and forth without stopping it works good. do i have a problem?, shouldn't it be smoother? why do i have to use moderate force to just cycle it. i am not a newbie to guns. owned them for over 35yrs, owned a maverick 88 just over a year ago, hunted last year with it. it was much looser and smoother and i bought it new. thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Isn't the Maverick 88 essentially the same as the Mossberg 500? If it were mine, I would disassemble it all the way down and see what is going on inside. The Mossberg usually likes to have the action worked with authority.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, i have finally done a complete clean out, there were some brown stuff and metalic looking thick stuff in it. i cycled it and it is better but still a little stiff, i noticed however that if i cycle it fast its fine or slow with good force it works fine, just when i go slow and easy that it sticks a little. of all the cheap shotguns i have owned this is the first one that is this tight, i guess that could be good but i don't shoot much and it may take a while to break in. i hope i have fixed it, time will tell. thanks

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Good luck with it. It will probably get better the more you shoot it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone, yes it just needed worked some. i put several slugs through it as i bought an extended ic choke for deer season. the gun smoothed up great, i'm sure it will just get better over time. i saw a you tube video where a guy had a mossy 500 that he replaced several internal parts afterwards you could see it was stiff to work with the new parts. my maverick with 28" barrel shoots slugs great, i bagged a 5 point on the third day of season. thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts