Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read my last reply 10 down or so for the solve!

Hello to the fellows on here much smarter than me!

So happens that I own a Ruger Mark I circa 1959. My father traded a 1911 for it when it was either new or pretty new back in the day. First pistol I ever shot. Now...I know I can send it back to the factory...and I may do that anyway for a re-blue, but I'd just love to hear from anyone who had the same problem I have. I disassembled it. That was my first mistake. I doubt that gun had EVER been apart before. After about 25 tries we got the pin to lock down but the bolt wouldn't actuate past about half. So we took it apart again.

It's that mainspring pin. I saw elsewhere where folks had a problem getting it out. On my copy it came out just fine. Not tight a bit. The problem I have, finally, is that in putting it back together the 26th time... that pin simply would not go back in. No way no how. Totally flummoxed. It never was tight going in or coming out previous...but that last time...it would not start through that first hole...no matter if the bolt was out or in. Just would not start.

The pin didn't magically expand for the minute and a half it was out the last time. Looking down from the top and up from the bottom of the frame no burr was evident. So what gives? Have you as the proud owner of a Mark1 ever run into this problem? Crazy nuts! Totally baffled. Welp, the gun, bolt and mainspring is now residing in a plastic bag. Kinda sad looking. I'd surely love to fix it myself. Jeez! Ha! Or at least find out I'm not the only snakebit owner out there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got one in 1980 for $100 at the Munich Rod & Gun store on McGraw Kasserne while I was an MP in the Army. I decided one day to clean it welland wound up right where you are. Fortunately one of out MPI investigators was a gunsmith in a poor life. I just gave the bag to him and declared myself an idiot. He gave it back a few days later and I never did THAT again. Those tiny springs outdid me in short order

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Like I said, my first mistake was ever taking the blamed thing apart. I mean, I watched the vids...How hard could it be??? Anyway, I spritzed down good with degreaser and oiled it up nice. I told you that I tried to reassemble 25 times. That was not literally true. The 25th time I handed it to the wife who is smarter than me and she fiddled with it a little and snippty snap...it was back together. Only thing was I think, the little hammer pin doohickey was caught on a little frame pin down there. A known flaw. Fixed that in a jiff with some tweezers....and THEN that mainspring pin would NOT start back in the hole. Just wouldn't go. Not even the wife could get it started. I shined it up with some sandpaper...tried again. Nothing. So here I am. Beaten like a dog by a 60 year old .22. The next thing I'd try is a round file through those frame holes...only I'm not that brave. Leave well enuff alone. That's the trick! Don't beat yourself Mr. 1. You're no idiot.
Sincerely,
Moron

I got one in 1980 for $100 at the Munich Rod & Gun store on McGraw Kasserne while I was an MP in the Army. I decided one day to clean it welland wound up right where you are. Fortunately one of out MPI investigators was a gunsmith in a poor life. I just gave the bag to him and declared myself an idiot.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
so you can't get the bolt stop pin to start through the frame even with the bolt removed?

I've taken several apart (and re-assembled them all). The stop pin can be tight to start the first few times it is inserted, but as long as the fork on the end of the recoil spring guide rod is in the bolt correctly, it should snap into place.

When you go to close the mainspring latch, pull the trigger and point muzzle up when you swing the mainspring in place and flip the latch.

Reactions: Skyhunter308

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks eastman. Put that pin back back in fiddling with the latch two dozen times. Slid right in and snapped into place. Every time I tried to latch the pin kept sliding back. Finally the wife did some kind of magic and the latch closed. However...the bolt would only slide back part way. The trigger pin or whatever was out of place, I think, most likely. Pulled the latch and pulled the pin back out as usual. No big deal. No binding whatsoever. Got that trigger pin thingy where it would swing up and down like it was sposed to. Then... Went to stick that bolt pin back and it WOULD NOT go through the first hole. Darnedest thing I ever saw. Defies natural laws!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha! Even the wifey can't magic this one. Can't worry for the hammer strut until that blamed pin starts in the first hole. You know I"m gonna get that gun back out though. Maybe next time gravity and Jupiter will line up. That's all I got left.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well it’s JUNK now. Send it to me I’ll give you s scrap value for it , save you having your drag it all the way to the dump. Better yet I’m so green that I’ll even recycle it for you.
I always regretted selling that Mark 1 I had. Prone I could hit out to 100 yards with it. When the army had me shooting my 45 at 50 yards the only thing hitting the target usually was flying mud.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So happens that I just finally got a .45 which I always wanted. My dad traded his .45 for that Mark I back when it was new. I remember that. And he could hit a bee in the nose with the thing at 100 yards also. Me not so much...but def better than my brand new .45. You're right. That .45 makes a great possum gun. Hey....I haven't given up yet. Not time to make a new Chevy with it. I have a plan. Let Ruger fix the danged thing. Prolly three scrapes with a round file.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
where are you located? There could well be a nearby forumite who could teach you the secret Standard/Mark handshake.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I took my dad’s mark1 apart. When I was 15. Worked everyday after school. I was afraid I was going to get my butt beat. After 3 weeks 3hr. A day Saturdays too. It went together and worked. That was 54 years ago. And I have never taken it apart since. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Happy ending to Ruger Mark I Reassemble Nightmare (SOLVED!) FREE AT LAST!

Prologue: I took the Ruger Mark I apart and that's as far as it got! On the 26th reassemble the rod on the mainspring thingy would NOT go back in the hole. So three weeks later as I studied up on how to send the gun to Ruger I handed it off to my wife for ONE MORE TRY! Totally flummoxed. Flummoxiation quotient in the red here. Flies buzzing me.

While perusing Ruger and learning that the last thing you'd ever want to do is to ship a gun bekez the shipping can cost more than the gun fix I heard a snick behind me. She got it back together. Of course the bolt wouldn't actuate like before and I was sure she had bent the little pin in the frame...stuff like that. So we took it back apart. Listen...here is what happened with the rod not going back into that blamed frame hole.... According to the videos the barrel comes off. Well, I tried to take that barrel off and that barrel would NOT come off...so I figgered the Mark I barrel did not really come off. But it DOES come off...not that I took it off you understand.

What I did do was to manage to move it forward by a millimeter. On that last reassemble I guess it moved forward yet another millimeter and even though you could not tell that those holes got out of alignment with an electron microscope...they did. The wife, who as ya'll know is smarter than me just pushed the crapping barrel back those two millimeters while I was chasing strange noises out behind the barn thinking that the barrel was as immobile as Mt. St. Helens... Long story short she shoved the thing back in place and the rod mystery solved.

Still at the cornputer now even MORE disgusted with myself, I went looking for MORE videos and boy did I find THE video...

It is entitled simply enuff: Best way to reassemble a Ruger Mark Series (All versions).

This is THE video on taking the Ruger Mark I apart and putting it back together. There is a trick....and if you don't know the trick you will continue to have a sack full of parts. I could try and explain it here....but the video tells ya all ya need to know. It's all about getting that piece with the rod just so with a tad of squeeze at the right time. We took the gun back down just for fun and it went back together in under 40 seconds....slip...clickity pin, PRESSURE....and snick to close. Just that darned simple. The guy who made the vid used the original paperwork and experimentation to home in on the TRICK to putting that thing back together. Works EVERY time it is tried...so if you haven't cleaned your pistola in 30 years now you can.

Trust me on this. DO NOT even attempt to use all the other vids for a howto. You will only come up snakeyes. This is the one you want. You'll be back here thankin' me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where are you located? There could well be a nearby forumite who could teach you the secret Standard/Mark handshake.
Mr. eastman, I'm located in friendly Cowchip/AL where everyone still only shoots ducks with muskets. As it is written, God lifts those who lift themselves. More or less. I lifted the gun to my wife ONE MORE TIME and she lifted it back to me with with the rod back in place. Read our (yes, I actually played a part) ingenious solution above.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The important thing is now you know the Standard/Mark handshake for the future. That was a good video for those who are learning.

I've helped a few people in the past, including a guy who brought a box of parts and left with a functional pistol again.

Sometimes the way God lifts those who lift themselves is to direct them to right person who can guide them the next step.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts