Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem with GSR Poly mag

I went in my range bag last night and pulled out one of my 5 round poly mags for my recently bought Gunsite Scout.

Topped the mag off, went to put it away and it got turned upside down. 3 of the 5 rounds just popped right out. It won't retain more than 2 rounds reliably now. My other mag does not seem to have this problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? I find this unacceptable for a brand new $45 magazine. Both mags have probably seen less than 100 rounds each.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I went in my range bag last night and pulled out one of my 5 round poly mags for my recently bought Gunsite Scout.

Topped the mag off, went to put it away and it got turned upside down. 3 of the 5 rounds just popped right out. It won't retain more than 2 rounds reliably now. My other mag does not seem to have this problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? I find this unacceptable for a brand new $45 magazine. Both mags have probably seen less than 100 rounds each.
Probably the most common failure in any box magazine rifle is magazine failure. It comes in two flavors. Many magazines fail to seat properly and leave the cartridges too low to have them picked up and chambered. The other common issue is magazines that spit out the cartridges as you try to load the magazine into the rifle. You are experiencing issue number 2.

I have experienced this with many magazines and may different rifles. In fact, the only box magazine rifle, I have owned that has never had a magazine failure of that type, is my CZ 452 American. I have one 5-shot steel and three 10 shot poly magazines for the CZ with nary a failure.

Three different Savages and a Remington 597 had among them three out of six magazines that spit cartridges as you described. No magazine I ever had for a Savage seated properly without a bit of work.

While poorly seating magazines can easily be fixed, I never found a way to fix the problem you are experiencing.

I have been seriously considering buying a Gunsite Scout, mainly because it is a left handed bolt action rifle that comes in 556/.223 at a reasonable price. Now I am not sure if I want to go there.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have wanted a GSR since they came out....but the magazine..be it the steel or the poly...has kept me from getting one......the GSR would be much more desirable with an internal magazine....using a stripper...

·
Registered
6 Posts
We've got two .308 GSRs in the stable, seeing regular use. Mags are all factory Ruger - four metal and eight poly in various capacities. To date no issues with feeding or retention. Knock on wood.

Word is Magpul has a compatible poly option, yet to hold one in my mitts though. Personal experience with other Magpul mags and their reputation leads me to have faith in the offering. May be an option to consider.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have wanted a GSR since they came out....but the magazine..be it the steel or the poly...has kept me from getting one......the GSR would be much more desirable with an internal magazine....using a stripper...
That is one of the fine features of my recently purchased Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger. The internal magazine feeding from the top is fool proof. I should know. I am the ham handed fool who has proven it. It also feeds single shots easier than any other multi-shot rifle I have owned.

The only thing missing is a stripper clip to feed the rifle.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Factory Poly .308 mags-no issues!

·
Registered
445 Posts
That is one of the fine features of my recently purchased Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger. The internal magazine feeding from the top is fool proof. I should know. I am the ham handed fool who has proven it. It also feeds single shots easier than any other multi-shot rifle I have owned.

The only thing missing is a stripper clip to feed the rifle.
I have a Ruger M77RSI in 308...and I agree with you 100% about the internal magazine...has been a foolproof system for how many years??? Ifonly the GSR was offered with the internal magazine option...oh well...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I will call Ruger, and see if they will make this right. I think the mag is just slightly out of spec, it must be fairly common with injection molded mags. Keeping small tolerances seems like it would be tough. I will have to look into the magpul mags....

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
My poly Ruger mags work o.k., tighter in the gun than the metal mags, and are cheaper, lighter, don't stick down as far as they are a doublestack, and load much easier than the steel ones. That being said, the feed lips seem a bit flimsy. I've never had the rounds pop out when left in for a while, but do recall someone over on Scoutrifle.org forum saying that the snap on covers provided with the magazines were meant, besides keeping the inside of the magazine free of debris, was to retain rounds that might otherwise pop out due to the polymer lips getting 'fatigued" from pressure of rounds pushed by the spring. Also I don't know why Ruger sells poly mags for $40 when Magpul can sell an even better polymer mag for closer to $20. I'm hoping the new Magpuls will also work in my Remington 700 .308 that also uses the AICS pattern mags. The steel mags I had were the same and I could use either mag in either rifle. But the Ruger poly mags are too tight to go into the mag well of my Remington and the latch is in the wrong place as well. I don't know how the Ruger poly mags can be AICS pattern but at the same time,not be AICS pattern.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a few poly mags in each flavor. 3-5-and 10. No issues with any of them.
Hunt mostly with the 3-rd and target shoot mostly with the 5 or 10 rd. Have pushed literally thousands of rounds thru mine.
I did initially have issues with the factory metal AI mags.
Bottom would get hung up on something and jumped out of them. Dumped the mag too many times. And way too noisy.
The poly mags have a nice cover to keep crap out of the mags. Metal is open.
They are physically longer and heavier than a poly mag with the same number of rounds.
I no longer use the metal ones.
Scrap it and buy a new one, or send it back with a note of dissatisfaction. Maybe they'll send you a new one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a collection of all the different magazines for the GSR including all the carious AI versions. The 5 round polymer magazines are the best of the lot. It is possible you just got a bad one.

Ruger service is first rate.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
4 Posts
GSR

Hi guys,
New to this forum and have now got a .223 GSR.
I'm in Australia and cant find any info here on Poly mags for .223
Wondering what makes you guys have been using that work well?...
Cheers in advance!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I have two metal ten rd. that have worked flawlessly. Tried one poly from MDT from Brownell. Snapped right in, empty,once. Partially loaded I could see the sides starting push out. With eight rounds or no rounds it would no longer seat. Only the first time when it was empty. I have contacted Magpul about 5.56 mags, none available yet. I think those would be ideal. I love the gun and would love some Magpul stuff to go with it. If nothing comes out soon I am going for more steel ones from Accurate Mag, nice folks to deal with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, thanks for that quick response....
So if the metal magazines are the same for 308 and 223 (but with a spacer thing in it) do you think taking that spacer thingy out and maybe retro fitting it into a 308 ruger polymer would work.... Or are they chalk n cheese....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just ordered a MDT 556 mag tonight. Can you post a pic of the MDT in your gun vs the metal mag?
I returned it and did not get a replacement. The quality seemed fine except for the way the shape distorted when loaded. It looked about the same as the pictures I have seen with the Ruger poly 10 rd. Nice and compact, I wish they worked better. I just don't want to have mags that might work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, thanks for that quick response....
So if the metal magazines are the same for 308 and 223 (but with a spacer thing in it) do you think taking that spacer thingy out and maybe retro fitting it into a 308 ruger polymer would work.... Or are they chalk n cheese....
I myself would not go that route. I am going to keep hassling Magpul, until then I am gonna stick with Accurate Mag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GS Scout Poly mags don't click in

I bought 3 of the Ruger poly mags for my GS Scout, two 3rd's and a 5rd. None of them "click" in as the metal mag does. They pull out without having to use the mag release tab. Anyone else experience this issue?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I bought 3 of the Ruger poly mags for my GS Scout, two 3rd's and a 5rd. None of them "click" in as the metal mag does. They pull out without having to use the mag release tab. Anyone else experience this issue?
Not with Ruger GSR mags, but I have had that problem with others, like the KCI 30 round mags for the Mini-30.
It's not really a "problem", not clicking in is much better than the alternative, mags being really loose when clicked in.

You need to take a couple file strokes off of the top of the tab on the back of the mag, and then see if it clicks in. If it doesn't, do a few more file strokes until it does.
Then for good measure, a couple more file strokes just to ensure reliability.
You now have the mag custom fitted to your mag release.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts