Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went shooting today and was having a problem with my P345. Whenever I would rack the slide on a full magazine the slide stop would pop out of position. Usually the first round wouldn't feed when it would do this too. It would do it whether the slide was closed or open to start. If I hit the slide stop to close the slide on a full magazine there were no problems, just if I pulled the slide back on an open slide or racked the slide from the closed position. With an empty magazine it wouldn't do it.

I have put over 1000 rounds through this gun without this problem, this was the first time it was doing this and it was doing it consistently. Has anyone had this problem before? Should I send it back to Ruger? Should I trade it in for a P90? I was using my own reloads. Should I get some factory ammo and check again? I can't imagine why it would do it only with reloads. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. My P89 was boringly reliable, again.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I would call and send it back to Ruger. Depending on what the problem was, I might consider trading or selling and buying a KP90DC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to trade it for a P90T, to match the P89T I just bought. I think its a better looking gun than the P345 but the P345 is more ergonomical.

This hasn't been my first problem with this gun. It sometimes won't feed my reloads. Once I had a click-no-bang, with factory ammo. I hadn't heard about this problem until after it happened and I wasn't sure what had happened. There was a round chambered but no primer hit. I shrugged it off at the time and it never happened again. I've never carried it and I wasn't confident enough in the gun to carry it yet. After today there is no possibility of this gun redeeming itself. It is very accurate and I can hit better with it than any gun I own but P90s are very accurate too.

The P89 I just got exudes confidence and has had no problem of any kind in 450 rounds. I'm sure a P90 would be the same, and I would have matching centerfire pistols. That may be reason enough to trade the thing in right there.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
There are a lot of happy p90 owners around here.;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I sold my problematic P345 and bought a second P97DC which is one of the sweetest and most reliable .45acp's ever made. Ruger made a very poor decision when they discontinued it in place of the P345. Those of you that have a P97 know what I mean.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cavediver

I sold my problematic P345 and bought a second P97DC which is one of the sweetest and most reliable .45acp's ever made. Ruger made a very poor decision when they discontinued it in place of the P345. Those of you that have a P97 know what I mean.
Yep, I have one on right now for my CCW. In my estimation the P90 and P97 is two of as good .45 auto's as any made.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
I have heard good and bad about the P345 and have thought it would be my next purchase but I keep hearing these issues. I have a P94 in 40 S&W and it has been 100% reliable and very accurate in the 12 years I have owned it. I guess the P90 should be on my radar screen as it doesn't seem like the issues with the 345 have been resolved yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts