Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried a Ram line muzzle brake ad it was WAY too small- looked more like for a 10/22.

I ordered a John Masen http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423746

and just don't see a way to get it over the front site without thrashing either the site or the brake.

I spit some tri-flow on it. and was gently trying to spread the brake over the site ring, but it makes me nervous. I realize it should be tight, but is there some trick or way to get the brakes on?

As a side note once over the front site ring i see another hurdle- the front site ring has a slight "square" extrusion where the site pin is inserted to hold the site on. so i really am not seeing how the brakes can fit over the front site let alone the square areas of the site.

this is the 2nd $16 brake i bought. no big deal, but i am wondering if i should simply have gotten one with the built in front site. And just reove the site and add the entire unit.

are the slip overs supposed to be a BI*CH to get on?? LOL

thanks for any help. bummed right now :(

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
What series Mini do you have? If you have one of the new 580 series the old brakes will not fit it due to the different front sight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What series Mini do you have? If you have one of the new 580 series the old brakes will not fit it due to the different front sight.
damn! exactly the problem. I have a 580--- xxxx. hmm.

well, what options are there? and can the front site on the 580's be removed and then add the brakes with built in site blades?

thanks for the tip. good to know i wasn't going CRAZY :p i mean i may still be, but at least i know it's not me and the mini LOL ;)

i have the site pin out, but not sure if the front ring is meant to come off, or has some lock -tight or something on it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You have to order a 580 series specific muzzle break. Mason does make one, I had one on my Mini. You don't remove the front sight, the break will slide right over it, and you put the pin back in through both the break and the sight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts