Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rifle worked so good, I shot through all my ammo too quickly...

Seriously though, sorry for the hook, but I have read so many complaints lately I thought I would post a positive review.

I took my new 583 mini to the desert for some shooting fun. I bought 200 rounds to sight in and just shoot for fun. I mounted a Leupold VX III 1.5 x 5 and bore sighted it at home. I did not have a good setup for accuracy, but was able to get quarter sized groups all day long at 50 yards. After I sighted the scope in I just shot for pleasure on targets out to about 300 yards.

The rifle was perfect with zero problems. I have been on an AR kick for awhile and forgot how much fun the mini is. My 10 year old son and I burned through the ammo pretty quick and were left wanting more. It was a great day with my son and lots of fun getting acquainted with the mini. Here are some obligatory pics...

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
My 185 series is a sweet shooter. Kinda makes me wonder why I bought an AR. But I'm keeping both. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very nice,I bought the same gun,are those the scope mounts that came with the gun? and any problem with them staying tight?Did you do anything to the gun at all?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice,I bought the same gun,are those the scope mounts that came with the gun? and any problem with them staying tight?Did you do anything to the gun at all?
Yes, they are the Ruger factory rings. I did have some issues tightening the rear ring, but some loctite fixed that right up. Once the loctite set, they were rock solid. Other than that I just cleaned it and shot the heck out of it; no mods so far. I am very pleased with it and can't wait to get back out there again in a week or so.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
My old 181 Mini has had that same problem from day one. Never enough ammo. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow, thank goodness.
I was starting to think my mini had a problem to eating too much.
I had a long eye relieve scope on mine for a very short period of time. I found I like shooting irons sights on it more once I upgraded to tech Sights.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 582 and after reading about some scope problems, I traded my Ruger 1" rings for 30mm and got GG&G Delrin 30mm/1" adapter rings. No metal to metal contact and they stay tight. Worth a try.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My 583 Series Ranch Rifle has a similar 'problem', however, as a handloader, I've mitigated the 'issue' by insuring that I keep multiple 30 cal ammo cans full at all times so that I can instantly address any situation that may arise. ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have reloaded 400 rounds of ammo this last week. Do you all think that is enough to last the summer??? Just wondering.

kwg :)

·
Banned
513 Posts
I have reloaded 400 rounds of ammo this last week. Do you all think that is enough to last the summer??? Just wondering.

kwg :)

After what happened in Florida today... I'm gonna say, NO

·
Registered
609 Posts
I reloaded another 200 this afternoon. Now I am out of processed brass and FMJ bullets. It's time to dig out the once fired stuff and get to work. It's too hot outside to play out doors so I am doing stuff in the basement. 25 grains of IMR 4895 with a 55 grain FMJ. They are not power house loads but they should hold down the home front. 200 of them are loaded with 26 grains of H335 because I wanted a little variety. I'm sure prices will be on the way up as we speak.

It's time our elected officials get off their duff's and take this Moslem terrorist stuff serious. It appears they just don't get it. It's all the guns fault ya know.

kwg

·
Registered
488 Posts
dang! i have had the same exact problem with the mini 14! too dang expensive to feed it as often as i wish! :D

the general feedback on the 583 series has been overwhelmingly positive!

in my expereince, the mini 14 is a bad arse rifle! and if you have problems, from what i have seen, ruger takes care of it!

"keep calm and min 14 on..."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts