Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the second time I was able to take my new Max 9 out to the range. The first time I did, the slide wasn't able to return to battery via slingshoting it. Also, just after firing a box of range rounds, the plastic takedown gate completely broke off causing the slide to get stuck back after almost every shot.

So I called Ruger, sent it in and got it back in about a week. They fixed the slide stop spring and put in a new gate. They said it functioned fine and sent it back.

Now we come to today. I'm finally able to take my Max 9 back out to the range and see if it's truly working fine. It's not. Thankfully they fixed the slide stop issue and I can now easily bring it into battery now. But after just over a box of range rounds again, the takedown gate failed and the slide will get locked back every other round, if not every round. So I'll be calling Ruger back again Monday and more than likely sending it back in.

I love Ruger. I own three of their products and plan to get more, but I'm sorry guys, amazing customer service doesn't make up for poor quality control or bad designs. Two failures after two times at the range is unacceptable in my book.

I'll probably have to trade this in for a different EDC since I just got my license to carry and I want something more reliable.

Is anyone else having problems with their Max 9? Sorry for the rant, but I hate having to cut my range days short before I can't use my firearms.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is a takedown gate? Photo?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

This gate here. Last time it completely broke off. This time it won't stay up at all. If that pin comes out even a little, it'll lock up the slide when fired.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,966 Posts
That gate definitely appears canted (front lower). The gate on my EC9s is perfectly parallel to the slide in both up + down positions..

·
Registered
215 Posts
So they took the nice simple pin of the LCP II and Security 9 and made an unreliable kluge out of it. I wonder if the LCP II pin would work there?

·
Registered
661 Posts
That looks like a terrible design, I wouldn’t trust it for carry.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,966 Posts
So they took the nice simple pin of the LCP II and Security 9 and made an unreliable kluge out of it. I wonder if the LCP II pin would work there?

No, it would not!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, that's a sad design choice. At first, I didn't really care for the removable non-captive takedown pin of the Security 9. I got used to it and you just don't lose it.

Why did they do this? Like KISS and use the already existing and reliable design that works fine minus being non-captive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that's a sad design choice. At first, I didn't really care for the removable non-captive takedown pin of the Security 9. I got used to it and you just don't lose it.

Why did they do this? Like KISS and use the already existing and reliable design that works fine minus being non-captive.
I just wish it wasn't a cheap little plastic piece. I can live with having a loose pin that I have to take out to strip it, but why does the part holding it I have to be something so easily breakable?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just wish it wasn't a cheap little plastic piece. I can live with having a loose pin that I have to take out to strip it, but why does the part holding it I have to be something so easily breakable?
That's what I was saying. Why even do that? We all learned to live with the removeable or non-captive takedown pin, but the little plastic thing to cover it up or something? Totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sorry to hear and agree "not acceptable" Problem like this should have been realized when gun went through design and testing. Sticking with my S&W CS-9 for carry. Always goes bang and parts don't break.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is a horrible design for sure. You want to compete in the crowded micro 9 class you better offer a product that goes toe to toe with the top dogs right now. If Sig, S&W, Glock, Walther and others can figure out a simple takedown method for their striker fired guns then Ruger needs to follow suit. How hard could it be to design a functional takedown system with no tools needed. Even Kimbers new micro 9 has an easy takedown process.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've read quite a few gripes about this gate on the LC + EC series 9's, though, never had a problem with mine. Shame they didn't use this oppurtunity to avoid the same issue on the Max 9. I agree, the micro 9 field is loaded with big boys. If yah wanna play with them yah gotta get serious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 158229

This gate here. Last time it completely broke off. This time it won't stay up at all. If that pin comes out even a little, it'll lock up the slide when fired.
New to the forums but that gate looks like it is inserted improperly. Look at the difference. Could be a bad part. Can you pull up on it to move it over the pin? See how mine sits?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New to the forums but that gate looks like it is inserted improperly. Look at the difference. Could be a bad part. Can you pull up on it to move it over the pin? See how mine sits?
Mine looked exactly like yours when it would stay up. It was just faulty or a cheap piece of plastic. Either way I sold it after I got it back. I couldn't trust it to not break again so got a 365.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have two Rugers, an old Mk 1 Target and a New Vaquero 45. To read these posts makes it seem like there are two Rugers, and they don't make the same guns. I wish their current designers would read up on the company's history, look at the advertising through the years, and try to get a feel for what Ruger has meant to the people that buy and try to love their products,

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,489 Posts
I have two Rugers, an old Mk 1 Target and a New Vaquero 45. To read these posts makes it seem like there are two Rugers, and they don't make the same guns. I wish their current designers would read up on the company's history, look at the advertising through the years, and try to get a feel for what Ruger has meant to the people that buy and try to love their products,
Yes indeed.

Love their revolvers, both DA and SA. Respect the 10/22. Love their classic .22 pistols. Love the Number 1 single shot rifle. Love the original LCP pocket .380.

But as far as their plastic-stock bolt action rifles, and their post-P-Series pistols ... meh. No thanks.

·
Registered
Ruger line-up: Mini 14, 10/.22, American Rifle, SR-22, Wrangler
50 Posts
Yes indeed.

Love their revolvers, both DA and SA. Respect the 10/22. Love their classic .22 pistols. Love the Number 1 single shot rifle. Love the original LCP pocket .380.

But as far as their plastic-stock bolt action rifles, and their post-P-Series pistols ... meh. No thanks.
I won't speak on anything I don't own but I do have a Ruger American Rifle (.308 predator model with 18 inch barrel) which is one of the plastic stock bolt rifles. It is a lot of gun for sub 500 dollars. I genuinely enjoy shooting that gun, its sub MOA and I have taken game reliably with it. Now I cant speak to how well it will hold up (had it for a year and a half) But so far impressed with it, just my personal 2 cents anyway 😄

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
At last check for me (and this might have changed), Ruger had 4 distinct factories that each work on different products. With the acquisition of part of Marlin, that may be 5 now.

The real issue is the overall direction of the firearms industry in general. Most of us would not bat an eye at spending $500 on a pistol in 2000. Now we want that same pistol for the same price with the same quality. Name something else that cost $500 in 2000 that you can still get for $500. Manufacturers as a rule are trying to fill a market demand for more/cheaper/faster to make the same amount of profit. Hence, the takeover of the "wonder 9" category. You can still get that same quality that we gladly paid $500 in 2000, but it costs more like $1,500 now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Never been really happy with the takedown design of the LC9s but have had one since they first came out around 2014 and have not had a problem. Probably have taken the LC9s down 80 times or more since being in my primary and or backup carry rotation and frequently tear down just to clean lint out, wipe down and relube. That speaks to being a pretty solid design. Do wish the Max9 would have changed that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts