Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've gotten my brand new AR556, and the free float hand guard it comes with is in my opinion entirely too short for the length of the gun/barrel. So, I purchased a STNGR 15" HWK to put on it. I was excited to start the project today, and everything was going fairly smooth. Got the factory hand guard off, removed pin from gas block and took out the gas tube. Then, upon trying to remove the allen head screw holding in the gas block, I went through 5 allen wrenches that all ended up twisted to hell and stripped. I made sure it was the correct size multiple times, and the tiny ass screw must be torqued to 500 ft. lbs. because it won't come out. This gun is brand new and never been fired. Why on earth would they torque this so god damn tight? Now, I have a brand new gun, never been fired.... and never WILL be fired until I can find a way to get an overtorqued piece of shit screw out of my brand new gun.

Now that I've gotten 1% of my frustration out in paragraph above, is anyone experienced enough or willing to give me tips on how I can move forwards with this? I now have a gun in pieces sitting back in the factory box, and am so f'ing pissed off. I didn't want to beat on it with improper tooling or anything... I just gathered everything back up and threw it back in the box in a fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if this is indeed a fault by Ruger by totally over-torquing this screw, shame on you and your QA...

·
Registered
981 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The tiny screw might have thread locker applied to the screw. I would try heating it up with a propane torch and try to remove it while everything is hot. Make sure you have the correct size allen wrench. If you strip the head of the allen screw your problems will get a lot worse. Even it the screw doesn't have thread locker on it the heat will help to loosen up tight screws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. The tiny screw might have thread locker applied to the screw. I would try heating it up with a propane torch and try to remove it while everything is hot. Make sure you have the correct size allen wrench. If you strip the head of the allen screw your problems will get a lot worse. Even it the screw doesn't have thread locker on it the heat will help to loosen up tight screws.
Thanks for the reply, Bubba. Yeah, the screw head as described above is probably too stripped for the proper size wrench to fit it any longer. I blasted through multiple allen wrenches of the proper size and all it did was twist and almost break all the wrenches, along with strip the screw head. I don't own a torch, so that isn't really an option at this point either. I thought about my heat gun, but not sure if that would work or not. Guess it's worth a shot, but the head is kinda f'd now. Only other things that come to mind is drilling it out or something? I don't know...

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Bubba. Yeah, the screw head as described above is probably too stripped for the proper size wrench to fit it any longer. I blasted through multiple allen wrenches of the proper size and all it did was twist and almost break all the wrenches, along with strip the screw head. I don't own a torch, so that isn't really an option at this point either. I thought about my heat gun, but not sure if that would work or not. Guess it's worth a shot, but the head is kinda f'd now. Only other things that come to mind is drilling it out or something? I don't know...
If the screw head is stripped before you try to drill it out find a Torx bit that if you use a small hammer and tap the bit into the screw head you may be able to use it to get the screw out. I would still get it as hot as possible before I would try it though. If you have a big soldering iron try putting the tip on the screw for a couple minutes that might help a little. You could also try your heat gun at this point not much to loose trying it.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,244 Posts
I agree probably thread locker. If its stripped that bad a set of extractors should work. Drive the appropriate size extractor into the bolt head with a hammer, heat the screw with a propane torch for 10 or 15 seconds, then slowly turn the extractor with a wrench. That should work, done it a few times on bolts, never on a gas block though. Always use a propane torch to heat ar gas blocks before attempting to remove the cross bolts or set screws. Now the taper pins on some ars require a block, and a 2lb hammer and punch, trust me.

Same principle as bubba suggested. Just run to lowes or home depot and grab a hand held propane torch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts