Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So many different types of shooters, for me I like to just shoot anything dirt balls, cans, shotgun cases, steel plates, flowers, sticks. I buy the cheep ammo 22lr thunderbolt, blazer, Aguila, if I take more than 500 rds. I would shoot them. I can't tell you how much I enjoy shooting my wrangler and s&w victory. also I like to shoot from 7yrds to 10 yards I can still see at that distance! the club has a gong about 250 yrds. out, got to try it out but can't tell if i'm close. good club they take care of the shooting range.

Registered
The proper amount might differ on different occasions. I never have to worry about that because I just walk out my back door, but if I were at a range and people were waiting, it might be polite to shoot just enough to scratch your itch and let someone else have a shot, so to speak. 馃榾

Registered
Proper amount ? No such thing. Shoot till your happy or run out of ammo. Try shooting 4" over the gong, bullets do drop. You'll get the hang of it and know the sweet spot on where to aim. Enjoy 馃憤

Corps Commander NGV
I like to shoot until I'm done. That number varies. I might have anywhere from three to seven guns with me. If I have rimfires many hundreds of rounds will go downrange. Centerfire handgun might be 50 to 100. My AR-15 might get 40 to 60 rounds through it. Deer rifles and mil-surps are usually less than twenty(except for my M1 Garand, it likes to eat!). When I'm tired, hungry, or sweaty I pack it up. It's always fun though!

Registered
I like to shoot until I'm done. That number varies. I might have anywhere from three to seven guns with me. If I have rimfires many hundreds of rounds will go downrange. Centerfire handgun might be 50 to 100. My AR-15 might get 40 to 60 rounds through it. Deer rifles and mil-surps are usually less than twenty(except for my M1 Garand, it likes to eat!). When I'm tired, hungry, or sweaty I pack it up. It's always fun though!
+1....except for if my son (15) is with me. Since it's all 'free' ammo to him, he'll shoot me into poor house if I let him. Great times though!

Registered
Lately I've been bringing the 44 mag and the 45 colt. Usually 100 rounds through one or the other. Or 50 rounds through each. If I bring a couple of 9mm. 100 rounds through each. I guess the fun has to stop somewhere. 馃榾

Registered
+1....except for if my son (15) is with me. Since it's all 'free' ammo to him, he'll shoot me into poor house if I let him. Great times though!
That's the best part of growing up. Dad buys the ammo, but it really is the father / son bond that will never be forgotten. Dads of all ages have that happy grin watching their sons shoot. I think my Dad took an extra puff of the White Owl cigar.

Registered
My volume seems to have been diminishing over the years. Some weeks I go to the range just to visit with friends (we can still do that here, masks are optional and the benches not too close together) and never end up shooting a single round. This week I shot a few rounds at 200 yards with a friend's .22 rifle, then 1 clip (yes it IS a clip) through my M-1 before sharing it among three other friends so 13 shots total for me but I had a great day. I will shoot 100 or so rounds on other days but that is usually enough, Frequently others shoot more rounds through my guns than I do on a given day, Much like when I was young (a long time ago) and my father would take us fishing but rarely pick up a rod himself, while still enjoying the day).

Bruce

Registered
When I'm just shooting for fun, that's one thing, but when I working on technique and shooting for score or group size, I call it quits when I feel fatigue setting in. That's an invitation for bad habits to set in. Shooting position also make a difference. Offhand is far more fatiguing than bench shooting. Overall, though, I typically pack along more ammo than I can shoot.

Registered
This weekend I'll put 100 round's thru my pair of 44 spl. flattop's!
Looking forward to it. Let's hope the blackfly's' wont bug me to much.

Registered
I shoot till my form starts suffering. Different guns have different levels. .22 rimfires? All day. My bigger stuff, significantly less. Handguns have less time than rifles and shotguns I can shoot all day, regardless of the gauge. I shoot at least once a week and I shoot with a purpose in mind and choose accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Basically, shoot until I am done. I don't shoot just 'to be putting lead downrange' . As soon as I 'feel' like I am done, I am done whether there is still 100s of rounds in my range bag or not. I don't know about you guys, but I 'peak' and then my attention span just starts to fall off, mind wanders off, and accuracy suffers. Pack up as no reason to waste lead.... Sometimes a little fatigue will set in too. I just 'know' when I am done ... and that is that.

Registered
I don't know what is the 'proper' amount to shoot. I do know that when the LAPD quit having their officers fire their entire annual allocation of training ammunition in a single day and instead scheduled multiple range sessions throughout the year with fewer rounds fired per session, qualification scores went up.

Registered
I average about 200 rounds with my revolvers (including SA) and 300 rounds with my semi-autos. Maybe a little more if shooting 22s. My SA revolvers have helped me to slow down and be more disciplined in my shooting.

Registered
I usually bring about 200 rounds of 22lr and 100 to 200 rounds of assorted 38 and 357magnum rounds. Last range visit maybe fired 100 22lr and 25 ro U rd of 38special.

Registered
For me it varies,how many guns, indoors, outdoor, do I have people with me, etc, etc.
Indoors 200+ rounds, outdoors 500+.
Could be more if there are a few friends or I brought the grandkids.

Registered
Remember as a kid I would buy 5-6 boxes of 12ga and a brick of .22 and have nothing left to shoot buy Monday. These days I figure 50 rounds for each handgun and 20-40 for a long gun most times out.

Registered
Some people really go for it, and I've noticed some adults using alot lately with a son or daughter along for a teaching moment/ family outing.

I'm not a 'volume shooter.' Usually go for either a rifles or handguns experience without taking everything, and spend less than 100 rounds. I reload half or more of my centerfire ammo, too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts